PDA

View Full Version : new tactic with bully all-ins?

serling
07-14-2004, 05:13 PM
I've been trying something new toward the bubble. I thought I could grab the bulk of the chips while also ending the tournament faster.

A few hands before this one I reraised all-in with AKs and got called by the same guy with the same hand as below. Two pair on the flop and we split.

So I figured he'd know better. This hand I did the same, and he paused for a long time before calling. Maybe thinking a bluff this time? Or he really thought his hand was best?

Just bad luck or am I increasing pot odds too much for him *not* to call?

My usual play here would be a 3x raise.

I'm going back to not being a bully.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t565)
BB (t2020)
UTG (t1175)
<font color="C00000">MP (t2288)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1952)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1952 (All-In)</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls t1902.

Flop: (t3979) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3979) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3979) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3979
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3979 (t3979), between MP and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP (t3979).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP shows Ts Ad (flush, ace high).
Hero shows Ac Qh (two pair, queens and eights).
Outcome: MP wins t3979. </font>

stupidsucker
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I think with the blind still at only T50 and with 5 players that 3-4X BB is a better move then push the flop.

There is no need to put so many chips in jeopordy for only T75 in blinds, and besides when you do want to steal and you push this much later on you will be called more often when you dont want a call.

Your opponent however made a terrible horrible call preflop with his ATo. you lost to a runner runner 4flush, and this is bad luck, but no need to get all in preflop.

z32fanatic
07-14-2004, 05:19 PM
I do this when the BB becomes 100, even when I have a lot of chips. Occasionally people think I'm trying to steal, as this person did, and call with worse hands. I like this play and it certainly should've worked in this position.

serling
07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Yes, this was my hope. I'll do this with AA as well. I *do* want a call (expecting a call from the low chipstack), and want the impression that I'm trying to steal.

And I got that call. It was just bad luck, I suppose.

I seldom make the all-in plays until the final 3 or 4, just thought I'd try something new.

serling