View Full Version : lets see if I get this right

Mikey
07-14-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm playing Poker (what a suprise!!!)

I'm in the BB with K7o.

The flop is K T 2r.

I'm up against 5 opponents.

everyone has limped in.

I check intending for a check raise... it fails.

On the turn falls a 3.

I bet and now get 3 callers.

On the river falls a T.

I bet out and its folded to the 2nd to last guy and he raises.

Now..... let say I have no knowledge, no read on the guy, nothing!! I'm playing on the internet.

SHould I compare what is in the pot with my call, with the probable chances that he has trips.

For instance, how big does that pot have to be where I would show a profit if he was bluffing, where do I draw the line and say "let him have it." When is it necessary from a mathematical standpoint to keep him honest.

aloiz
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Compare your pot odds with the odds that you think he's bluffing. If you think he's bluffing 20% of the time you need pot odds of 4:1, if you think he's bluffing 5% of the time you'd need pot odds of 19:1 etc...

aloiz

Mikey
07-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Yes, but where am I getting this number from?? Where is it coming from??

aloiz
07-14-2004, 08:34 PM
You mean the chance that he's bluffing?? That's just a number that you have to come up with based a read.

aloiz

nummerfire
07-15-2004, 09:20 AM
He has a theoretically correct number of times he should bluff. If he does that you cannot counter his strategy.

Try reading Theory of Poker about game theoretical aspects of betting on the end.

I think it is something like if the pot is 10 big bets he should bluff around 10 percent of the time. But most people call raises on the river down if they have anything so then he should bluff less.

Kim

nummerfire
07-16-2004, 03:23 AM
Try also reading Sklanskys "Stopping bluffs" thread in the mid high stakes forum.

Kim

Marine139
07-16-2004, 06:22 AM
What you would have to do is compare the pot odds to the chance thats hes bluffing, which is what someone posted before. Yet I dont know how you would calculate it since you have no knowledge of him and since you cant even get a read off him. You would really have to play more with him to see how he plays in situations, but it would have deffinitly helped if you were in person.

Marine