PDA

View Full Version : Busted out on first orbit...did I play too aggressive?

heatscan
07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I get dealt AK of spades UTG. I raise it to 70, five others come along, including the blinds. Flop comes 843, two spades. SB checks, BB bets 200, I push all-in, a player behind me calls, the BB calls. Turn and river are both low cards, no spades. Player behind me has 86, BB has A8 and takes it down. Any comments?

Edit: Party $10NL

Sam T.
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
With just overcards, the flush draw, and a big bet in front of you, I'm not sure I push here. You're a 2:1 dog to hit the flush, and the bet ahead of you indicates that your overcards may not be clean: It looks like someone trying to protect their TPTK or set against a straight/flush draw. (Edit: Just re-read the post, and noticed that you included the results. I promise I made this read without knowing the hand.)

It's the fish who need to double-up early, not you!

serling
07-14-2004, 05:32 PM
In the first few rounds I try to stay out of everyone's way. There will be horrible calls and raises in an effort to double up early or get out.

Still, I think you played it fine. The others made bad calls.

serling

Grivan
07-14-2004, 05:40 PM
I really don't have a problem with your move here. you have a minimum of 9 outs and possibly 15 or more. If you are going to play getting all your money in before you see the turn card is a good idea since it allows you to see 2 cards for the same price. You are likely a coin flip if you are all in here plus you have some fold equity, so going all in is probably a possitive expectation play in this spot. Seeing the calls you got it was definatly a possitive expectation play. You had 12 outs twice getting the chance to triple up. You really don't mind these calls in this spot, of course you would prefer the folds.