PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Dilemma

05-30-2002, 07:03 AM
Hi folks,

I've been working with a backer for a couple of months. It's worked out beautifully, and we've both made a nice chunk of change. My backer is a poker player himself, but he hadn't been playing in the same game as me. Last night, though, his usual game broke up early, and he came and sat in my game. I felt extremely awkward. I thought about getting up but didn't. I decided at that time that I had no conflict of interest. Winning or losing against him has exactly the same effect on my bottom line as winning or losing the same amount against any other player. He, of course, has a conflict of interest. What's strange is that when we first entered into our agreement, I thought that we had agreed that he and I shouldn't play in the same game. I occasionally will take a seat in his usual game, but only after he's left for the night.

I intend to call him today and let him know that I don't feel comfortable with him in the game, that the conflict of interest should be obvious. We've kept our arrangement between ourselves, but I think that if someone knew that I was playing with his money in the same game, he might have a problem with that. I occasionally hand off cash to him, and while we try to be discrete, someone has probably seen us at least once. If someone put 2+2 together, it could be uncomfortable to say the least. I think that if he sits in my game again, I'll just pay him off, and either take my chances with a short bankroll or move down.

Your comments sought.

Peace,

3322 K

05-30-2002, 07:58 AM
He has a big advantage against the rest of the field AND YOU when he's in your game Mr. Treys-Up. If you're splitting your wins 50-50, for example, he's getting much better pot odds whenever you are involved in a hand.

Winning or losing against him has exactly the same effect on my bottom line as winning or losing the same amount against any other player

Wrong. I don't know your deal with him but unless he's paying you a flat hourly wage, he certainly will affect your bottom line, both in heads-up showdowns and multi-player pots.

And apart from your bottom line it's just wrong for two players who have a business deal going to play in the same game. and you're right to worry about your reputation too.

Best of luck to you. LTL

05-30-2002, 07:59 AM

05-30-2002, 08:18 AM
I don't think that he has an advantage against me. I could drink a six-pack and beat this guy. /images/smile.gif We split my winnings 50/50. If I beat him in a hand for $300, that's $150 for me. If I beat another guy in a hand for $300, that's also $150 for me. That's exactly the same effect on my bottom line. The difference of course, is that when my backer loses $300 to me, it only costs him $150, whereas the other guy is losing the entire $300.

The more I think about this, the more I think I'm just going to break the whole thing off tonight. Thanks for your input.

05-30-2002, 10:04 AM
Winning or losing against him has exactly the same effect on my bottom line as winning or losing the same amount against any other player

With one other opponent and you in the pot he makes a nice profit by raising when his hand doesn't hit and yours does. you profit as well

He makes a monster profit when he draws out on you.

Not to mention when he jams weaker draws out of your winning pots.

It is going to affect YOUR bottom line.

But as we've agreed (I think). It's just plain wrong that one player gets consistantly better pot odds than the rest of the lineup, including you.

05-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Yes, you're right, it does give me an edge. I didn't play any differently, and I don't think that he did. Even with this edge, he still managed to lose last night. Half of my win, which was a decent night's work, was not enough to cover his loss.

I plan on breaking it off this afternoon. Thanks for your input.

05-30-2002, 11:16 AM
Playing shared bankrolls in the same game is wrong. I won't go into the details, but it has the effect of changing the underlying probabilities that govern play of hands. Specifically, it means that some hands which should be folded now do get enough equity to play.

Besides, once you have built up your bankroll, don't you want to win all that money for yourself.

05-30-2002, 11:42 AM

05-30-2002, 11:59 AM
Playing in the same game with a shared bankroll is only wrong in the minds of those who think it is wrong. In this case, that's you. For your well-being, and no other reason, you should not play in the same game with your backer.

Tommy

05-30-2002, 12:07 PM
I had been planning on waiting until I had built up my bankroll to a certain point before going out on my own. I have not gotten to that point, but I am going out on my own anyway.