PDA

View Full Version : Valuebetting

MrGo
07-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Is there a clear definition of what this is? I understand the principle, but am looking for a standard def.

Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-14-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't know about a "standard" definition, but a value bet is a bet you make, expecting to be called, with a hand that you expect to be good often enough when called to make the bet +EV.

smartalecc5
07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
what does +EV mean? I see like every post have this, but I dont know what the heck it is.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-14-2004, 03:35 PM
what does +EV mean?

Positive Expected Value

Louie Landale
07-15-2004, 01:22 PM
A clear and generally accepted definition is "A bet that shows a profit when called".

EV is "expected value" and represents how much, on average, is your profit. If we bet on a fair coin flip and I give you $2 when you win and you give me $1 when I win, then on average every two flips you'll win $2 and lose $1 for a net of $1 over 2 flips, or an EV of 50c per flip. If we do this a million times you can very reasonably expect to be ahead very close to 1mil*50c or a half million dollars. +EV is good for you, -EV is bad. Since folding has an EV or zero, one should look for plays (check, bet, raise) that have positive EV. If more than one than pick the higher one.

- Louie