PDA

View Full Version : The Beautiful Game

Gamblor
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Soccer Program kicks around the idea of Coexistence (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1089695513640)

Soccer program kicks around idea of coexistence
By HADAS KROITORU

The "Football for Peace" soccer camp has expanded in its four-year history to include 700 children from sixteen Arab and Jewish communities in northern Israel.
Photo: Courtesy photo

For 700 Jewish and Arab children at the "Football for Peace" final tournament last week in Nazareth, every high-five and hand shake, every open hand offering help to a fallen teammate, and even every sideline tiff resolved, was a positive step in a country struggling to bring Jewish and Arab communities together.

"We just want the children to break down barriers and see each other as equals," said Caron Sethill, assistant director at the British Council, co-sponsor of the week-long soccer camp that brought together 10- to 14-year-old children from 16 Arab and Jewish communities in the North.

"Its important to meet [Arab-Israeli children] because they are just like us," said 14 year-old Elad Kolnik, a Jewish participant who also said having fun together is one of the most important parts of the experience.

The program, which is also sponsored by the University of Brighton (England) and the Education, Culture, and Sports Ministry, has grown seven-fold and has evolved from its origins three years ago as a week-long coaching camp for about 100 Muslim and Christian children in the Arab town of Ibillin. Originally the brain child of British track star David Bedford and retired Baptist minister Geoffrey Whitefield, the camp attracted twice as many participants as last year.

"It's a shame they didn't do this years and years ago. The kids are really getting to know each other, whether Arab or Jewish," said Adnan Karmawe, a coach from Kfar Qara, gesturing wildly with excitement. "They want each other to do well. They are very connected."

Compared to just days earlier when the Arab and Jewish participants sat on opposite ends of the field, coaches and organizers observed a tremendous change in the way the kids interact.

"We started off on Sunday with the classic separation between the communities. But now, just walking around, you can see the bubble of activity that just wasn't here on Sunday. I had never seen such a quiet game than when they played then," said Jim Wallis, a 22-year-old coach from the UK who had his name scribbled in English, Hebrew, and Arabic on a tag attached to his jersey.

University of Brighton sociology of sport professor John Sugden, an organizer, explained the result of emphasizing fair play and respect, rather than competition.

"The UK and Israeli coaches and players on this soccer field will be more animated than those at your average soccer game," he said.

The program brings 70 coaches from Arab and Jewish communities, and 37 UK student coaches, to training sessions in the UK and in Israel, where they are trained to teach the core values of trust, responsibility, neutrality, respect, and inclusion through "teachable moments" on the field. Coaches are encouraged to recognize and take advantage of opportunities on the soccer field in which valuable lessons can be taught.

"The transition in the kids has been phenomenal. They have really embraced the whole ideology of the project. From someone falling down and everyone helping them out, to high fives," said Chris Ward, another 22-year-old UK coach. "Soccer serves as a great vehicle for such coexistence work, especially given its popularity."

"It doesn't matter who they are, they come together for the football. Parents and children too," said Ramat Yishai's Rani Peer, an Israeli coach and parent of one of the participants. "Sport gives them something in common, and they forget everything else."

Even the physical interaction between participants makes a huge difference. Although children participate in off-field team building and getting-to-know-you activities, much of the breakdown of barriers occurs on a subconscious level during practice and in the games themselves.

"It has to be through the sport itself that they build trust in each other," said Sethil, the British Council director. "Children at that age, they are getting into the program for the football. Not that they aren't aware of the agenda, but they are doing [coexistence] without realizing it."

One of the primary concerns of organizers was how to sustain results after the one week program.
"They get to know the person, the name, the family, and not just the stereotype. It's a contribution to the whole community," said Mohammad Darawshe, public relations director for Givat Haviva, an Arab town that provides follow up activities and tutoring for the children.

Darawshe pointed out Jewish and Arab parents sitting together on the sidelines, explaining that chats and communal cheering are bound to progress into coffee invites. "It really normalizes relations in an abnormal situation," he commented.

Gem Tullett, also a 22-year-old coach from the UK who is in Israel for the first time, is one of the physical education student volunteers from the University of Brighton.

"There are problems between the two groups. But the way they have come together has really taught me a lot. They understand that they are one team," she said. "They celebrate each other."

The British presence on the field was well received by the children. "Sometimes you need a neutral third party to bring participants together," said Nujidat Gazi, a supervisor in the Education, Culture, and Sports Ministry.

The UK coaches themselves, who tour Israel during and after the camp, return home with a new perspective on the country.

"Its completely changed my opinion. I am almost ashamed by what I thought of Israel before. I want to come back. I love Israel," said coach Ward, who blamed the Western media for his preconceptions.

"This is the kind of thing you can't learn in a university," agreed Tullett. "Hopefully we are starting something here, something good."

daveymck
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Similar schemes have been run in Ireland with some positive results, its the only way to beat prejudice is educate the kids on both sides and hoepfully in years to come the barriers and prejudice come down.

Having watched the Death in Gaza documentary and a report on Sky news yesterday from a terrorist camp for kids it seems this sort of scheme needs expanding.

Gamblor
07-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Israeli education has virtually no religious content. There is a lot of Jewish (and Israeli) history, but nothing that specifically degrading to Arabs in any way, other than they seemed to have a serious beef with Jews and they keep starting wars (and losing them).

But nothing like "Arabs deserve to die" or "Arabs are scum" or "Arabs are descendents of monkeys" as you see in Arab schools re: the Jews.

Arabs hold a place in society much like blacks did in the second half of the 20th century. Not exactly equal in terms of rights to statecraft in the eyes of the establishment, but their cultural influence is everywhere - i.e. the food (felafel is Arab food, not Israeli) and the language (more Israeli slang is Arabic than Hebrew). They take construction work and domestic work more as a result of the economic environment than the social environment.

Even the rightwing Jewish fundamentalist mainstream have been preaching that if the Arabs were to accept a Jewish state (in the model of all the other ethnic states), we could all do business and trade and exchange cultural assets with each other. Obviously there are minor exceptions as there are everywhere.

For what that's worth.

smudgex68
07-14-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Similar schemes have been run in Ireland with some positive results

[/ QUOTE ]

What positive results? They're still not very good at football /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nothumb
07-14-2004, 12:28 PM
At least our guys don't spit on people. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

spamuell
07-14-2004, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously there are minor exceptions as there are everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

A large proportion of the orthodox and ultra-orthodox right are quite major exceptions. I don't want to really get into an argument about this with you because I'm going away tomorrow morning (to Tel Aviv actually!) but there are people who are not viewed, by the Jewish community anyway, as extremists, who do hold very derogatory view on Arabs and specifically Palestinians (whose existence they deny - if that's not "degrading", what is?).

nothumb
07-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Interesting story about Jewish-Arab relations having to do with sports. Sort of O/T but funny in a disturbing way.

I was bowling at Cove Lanes in Great Barrington, MA last summer. There are a lot of camps in the area that kids come to and the campers/counselors often go bowling. It was quite late and I was bowling one pair over from three or four young Israelis who were working as counselors at the Eisner camp right down the road.

I was bowling very well (I bowl a lot) and had the front 11 strikes (you need 12 for a perfect game). The Israelis were watching, cheering me on, etc, everyone was having a nice time. I threw a good shot on the last ball and left a ringing 10 pin - brutal! I walked back, shrugged my shoulders, and said to one of the guys, "It would be a hell of a lot easier if you could just roll a grenade, huh?"

The guy looked me dead in the eye and said, I believe quite seriously, "Many things would be easier if you could just roll a grenade."

Don't think this is particularly indicative of much of anything but it was a weird event to say the least.

NT

Gamblor
07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
whose existence they deny

Whose nationality they deny. As in, the facts are: The idea of a Palestinian "nation" began specifically in response to the loss of Arab sovereignty over the territories.

Until the very recent past, there was no cultural/language/ethnic difference between a "Palestinian" Arab and a Syrian/Lebanese/Egyptian Arab. Even the Palestinians themselves considered themselves Syrian.

But when the Jews came, suddenly there was a great and once-proud Palestinian nation.

Which is why I still believe that the whole Palestinian idea of nationhood is still a plan to eliminate any Jewish sovereignty and self-determination in the region, and to re-exert Arab control.

Gamblor
07-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Don't get me wrong. Israelis have long learned to hate Arabs. Not because they believe that Arabs are genetically inferior.

They see how the Arabs continue to call for (and pursue) Jewish deaths (not Israeli deaths), and you can only act defensively for so long before you realize that they'll never accept you and the only way to survive is to win.

And so we have Israeli foreign policy.

daveymck
07-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Just to mention my comments were not one sided I think both sides are as bad as each other.

There was a documentary on where US people were taken on anti terror training in Israel, basically it was a indoctrination into the Isreali side of the argument and all the training involved pretending the terrorists were Palestinians. Also taking them to sites of atrocities perpetrated by the Palesinians but not letting the people speak to a palestinian the whole tour.

Also whilst the Palestinians train their kids in terror camps, Isreal trains its children in the army (ok at an older age) I suspect during that training that the enemy in practices etc is Palestinina terrorists as well.

One side has to back down in the this fight I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Queue a response from Gamblor on how much Isreal has offered etc, I know your views so you dont have to repeat them here /images/graemlins/wink.gif