PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 live, 6handed

jfresh
07-14-2004, 05:55 AM
anything wrong with my play/thinking here? I'll point out the points in which there may be debate, and my thinking at those points are on the bottom of the post.

I get K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB. Button is relatively new player. BB is crazy/maniac/overall bad player, bluffs til the river with nothing.

Hand goes like this:

folded to button, who raises. I smoothcall ( point 1 ) BB comes along predictably.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out ( point 2). BB folds, button calls

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

here I check ( point 3). button bets, I call

River rag, offsuit

I bet out ( point 4), button raises me. I call.

Results in white:
<font color="white"> button had J 9 of spades for the flopped straight flush and the turned 6 card straight flush </font>

here are my thoughts at the various points:
1) I want the BB to come along for the ride, with hopes of him playing wildly, maybe even re-raising, or catching bottom pair on the flop and calling til the river, or possibly throwing in a raise somewhere. if anything, I figured the button was on a steal and it disguised my hand. I'm not sure if this is a somewhat common play shorthanded, I don't usually play such high stakes SH, or SH live.

2) hoping to induce some action out of the BB, maybe he'll raise (he's done it before, only to fold on the turn). if he caught any part of the board, he probably would have called one bet, but folded to a checkraise by me (calling two cold). the flop was probably scary for most hands though, so alas he folded.

3) Now I have a king high flush, didn't put her on a spade. didn't want to scare her, so check here?

4) Did not put her on the ace, or any high spade for that matter... bet out for some final value cause she probably would check if she had no spade and it was checked to her. Obviously she had no ace, but destroyed my hand pretty handily.

Thoughts? or is this standard?

stripsqueez
07-14-2004, 06:01 AM
pre-flop i think you should give the chooky BB the opportunity to make the mistake of calling a 3 bet with garbage

post flop becomes a bit strange to analyse after you slowplayed pre-flop - i would of lost more

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

jfresh
07-14-2004, 06:14 AM
to further elaborate on my read of the BB, he was a maniac/bad player when he had a hand (in other words, two cards in front of him). he didn't call raises much with garbage; he only raised with them, it seemed.

in one instance, shorthanded, I was UTG+1, as I gathered my chips to raise (with QJs... debateable? maybe.) he had his chips pretty much in the pot, raising. however, once he saw my raise, he pulled back, and folded. I ended up winning the blinds, and I didn't complain as I wasn't completely sure I wanted him in the pot anyway, with only QJs

and my basic read on the button was that she was a relatively decent player, at least not a maniac. however, that is based only on the fact that i didn't see her play a hand in.... one round, since she sat down.

spydog
07-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Point 2: If you want to induce action out of BB, then I would check the flop and let him make a bluff at it.