PDA

View Full Version : Players not in HOF that should be

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 03:10 AM
A caveat from the Mcguire thread. Does anyone think there should be a standard to get in the hall. Injuries and other unforseen circumsatnces being the exception. Does 500 HRs get you in, as in the case of McGuire (likely) and Reggie Jackson? Does 3000 hits get you in as in the case (again likely) of Wade Boggs?

Here are some players I think should be in the HOF that are not:

Harvey Haddix
Gil Hodges
Carl Erskine
Maury Willis
Denny McLain
Roger Maris
Ryne Sandberg (will hopefully be soon)
Alan Tramell
Tony Gwynn (shoe in when elegible)
Rickey Henderson (shoe in when elegible)
Wade Boggs (soon)
Cal Ripken (shoe in)

Any thoughts?

Sooga
07-14-2004, 03:34 AM
Other than the players that are not eligible yet, the list should begin and end with Bert Blyleven.

Mano
07-14-2004, 03:50 AM
Pete Rose

Beer and Pizza
07-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Shoeless Joe Jackson (http://www.blackbetsy.com/)

andyfox
07-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I assume your Haddix, Wills, McLain and Maris entries rest on their singular accomplishments, not on their career achievements. Of the four, Wills was perhaps the only one who had a chance, but his post-career problems may have hurt him.

I suppose one could make a case that if Tony Perez is in, Gil Hodges should be. And Hodges was a fine manager who won a World Series. I think neither should be in though.

I'd consider Blyleven, Kaat, Santo and Dick Allen.

B-Man
07-14-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose one could make a case that if Tony Perez is in, Gil Hodges should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this logic, BUT, if Tony Perez is in, then Jim Rice should be in. Compare the numbers, and remember Rice had a much shorter career than Perez. Rice compares favorably to Orlando Cepeda, too.

I don't know if I really think Rice should be in... I tend to lean that way. If he played today he would probably put up numbers similar to Manny... Unfortunately, Jim Ed probably needed 1 more good year to make it.

Uston
07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
3,000 hits will continue to get guys in automatically. It's not becoming any easier over time. For instance, of the active players, I doubt more than three or four will reach that mark. Alomar has the best chance, followed by Biggio, and Jeter. Other than possibly Biggio, none of those guys will need that milestone to get in.

Fred McGriff won't get in even if he hits seven more HR's and that's the way it should be.

Sooga is right about Blyleven. He needs to be in.

andyfox
07-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Agree on all counts. I mean Lloyd Waner is in, does that mean Willie McGee should be?

Rice is indeed a close call.

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I deliberatley left Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson of the list. But I agree both should be in there. Especially Shoeless Joe.

offTopic
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I've only been following baseball since around 1977.

- Jim Rice
- Bert Blyleven
- If Gary Carter is in, then, IMO, Ted Simmons should be, as well

They should create a separate building down the street somewhere for:

- Dave Parker, Bill Buckner, Al Oliver - 2700 hits
- Dave Kingman, Darrell Evans, Jose Canseco - 400 HR...try mixing in some more singles.
- Ron Guidry, Dwight Gooden - the candle that burns twice as bright...

ThaSaltCracka
07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rice compares favorably to Orlando Cepeda, too.

[/ QUOTE ] and Duke Snider..... and Adres Galaraga hahaha

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Whoa TSC, dont knock The Dook. He had two war shortened years, and three injury shortened years. Had five GREAT years. The numbers are not the same then as they are now. Now, even second basemen and players not on steroids can hit 40 HRs. Back then to do it was a great accomplishment. He led all players in the 1950s decade in HRs and RBIs. Only player to have 4 HR's in TWO WS. And he got it done in clutch time. I think he has the most HR's and RBIs in the World Series, of any player. Or it might be NL. He was voted in way too late too.

Cubswin
07-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Career Batting Avg of .277, Compare that with 3 other HoF 3rd Basemen

Mike Schmidt .267
Brooks Robinson .267
Eddie Mathews .271

Granted, Santo didnt have the power numbers of Mathews and Schmidt or the glove of Brooks but he was a great all around player with five gold gloves and 9 all-star game appearances. I can only imagine how much better his stats would have been had he not had to deal with his illness.

ThaSaltCracka
07-14-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa TSC, dont knock The Dook.

[/ QUOTE ] I wasn't, I was laughing about Galaraga

andyfox
07-14-2004, 05:25 PM
5 straight years 40+ home runs.

Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.

J.R.
07-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I am pretty sure Sosa and Arod have hit 40+ for the last 6 years and Junior did it 5 years in a row as well.

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Also a song by Terry Cashman (me thinks)

andyfox
07-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Yes, but in the context of the early 1950s, Duke's achievement stands out as special. Anyway, Sosa, Arod and Griffey will make the hall too.

andyfox
07-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Santo was probably a better player than Brooks Robinson. I think Schmidt was the greatest third basemen ever, and Mathews probably number two. But Santo was in the top ten and does indeed deserve a place in the hall.

It breaks your heart to have seen the man the last few years.

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 05:40 PM
I think so too

DonWaade
07-14-2004, 05:48 PM
No one was as good a Brooks defensively. Rolen might prove to be, but he needs about 5 more Gold Gloves. Scmidt and Matthews the best bats too. Interestingly enough, 3B has the fewest members in the HOF. So, maybe Santo and Ron Cey belong. . .

andyfox
07-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Clete Boyer played at the same time as Brooks Robinson and was a better defensive player. Brooks was a fine defensive player and a showy one, and did his thing in the post-season, where he got the publicity. Schmidt was as good, probably better. Nettles was definitely better.

Ron Cey was an under-rated player, but not quite HOF material, IMHO.

jwvdcw
07-24-2004, 10:38 PM
whats the point in listing players that are "shoe ins" but not yet eligible?