PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Convention - Why?

Zeno
07-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Zipping thought the channels during ad breaks for the All-Star game I saw something on C-SPAN. It was a ‘Pre-Campaign rally’ for the Democratic convention. What the hell is this all about? Is there a Political Science Major around here that can explain this to me?

Since the Kerry/Edwards ticket is set what the hell is needed by a convention. I remember back in the sixties conventions had some meaning - people were stabbed, hung, killed, Galleries were packed with prepaid supporters, riots broke out, rampant debauchery everywhere – very worthwhile human endeavors.

But what is going to happen at the upcoming Democratic Convention? Will the demagoguery be so preplanned that it will come out even more stale and threadbare than ever before? How much hoopla and caterwauling are needed to garner attention and votes from the throbbing masses? Isn’t that what this supposed ‘Convention’ is all about? And getting down to important issues, what's the percentage increase going to be for purchasing Blowjobs from the local Hookers?

Does anyone really care about this convention? Is anything really important going to be decided or even said?

-Zeno

ACPlayer
07-14-2004, 02:05 AM
At the democratic convention: 40%
At the republican convention: 150%

El Barto
07-14-2004, 03:00 AM
Conventions had a purpose once. Then they figured out they were great for advertising to potential voters - so all drama left, replaced by propaganda. The networks wisely refuse to carry the propaganda (just the important speeches). I don't have a problem with that.

scrub
07-14-2004, 03:22 AM
At least two conventions in the past 25 years have had compelling moments.

The Cuomo "shining city" and Buchanan "culture war" keynotes were both, for one reason or another, worth seeing. Cuomo because the guy could really deliver a line and Buchanan as proof that every once in a while things go off script even now.

Speaking of blowjob prices, did anyone else notice that this week's New Yorker saw fit to tell its readers how much they could expect to pay for one in the Bay Area these days?

scrub