PDA

View Full Version : Questionable preflop coldcall w/ 44; flopped set on a monotone flop

bdk3clash
07-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Subject takes care of most of the action. Multitabling, so reads are minimal.

UTG+2 hasn't gotten out of line in the brief time I've been at the same table as him.

Preflop coldcall: "Taking off the training wheels" or "Bad"?

What's your move on the turn?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 folds, Hero raises, Button folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero...

bisonbison
07-14-2004, 12:54 AM
The call's not bad. Flop raise good. I hope you raised the turn.

sfer
07-14-2004, 01:23 AM
The coldcall is damn near routine. Raise the turn. UTG+2 won't 3-bet that board and your turn raise without a hand better than TP good kicker. You have to extract value out of UTG and his likely big spade. Call if 3-bet and call the river unimproved.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Aiya! I hope you weren't folding this hand preflop before. Routine call.

The two Pooh-Bah's nailed this on the head. Raise the turn.

Sent
07-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Sorry guys, I don't understand. Why would you call this PF to a raise? Because you have position? There is enough callers before-hand? It's not something I normally do, but it seems routine, but why? (Must learn moreee)

-Sent

sublime
07-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Sorry guys, I don't understand. Why would you call this PF to a raise? Because you have position? There is enough callers before-hand? It's not something I normally do, but it seems routine, but why? (Must learn moreee)

Previous limper, cold caller, dead money and having position. Also almost *knowing* at least one of the blinds will come along makes it call.

cjromero
07-14-2004, 09:01 AM
You can cold call with 44 in that spot because of position and also because you will likely get paid off nicely if you hit your set. Being able to release small pairs when the flop isn't favorable is also an important factor. You can't see a flop with a small pair in a raised pot if your postflop play is poor.

The question is whether BDK raised the turn.

sfer
07-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Small/medium pairs in multiway pots are an easy call, even to a raise, in loose games. You spike a set, great. You miss, buh-bye. The story would be different if bdk3clash's description was tight table, heads-up for most pots, UTG raises, I have 44 UTG+1. Here there's already a limper, a coldcaller, 1 SB in dead money, and the blinds behind you.

Joe Tall
07-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Preflop should be routine in what is developing to be a big pot.

Raise the turn. He made his Ace, you have the prefect spot to raise the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall

bdk3clash
07-14-2004, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can cold call with 44 in that spot because of position and also because you will likely get paid off nicely if you hit your set. Being able to release small pairs when the flop isn't favorable is also an important factor. You can't see a flop with a small pair in a raised pot if your postflop play is poor.

The question is whether BDK raised the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah BDK raised the turn. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the flop, I thought UTG calling 2 cold probably indicated a high /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+2 would probably have 3-bet the flop with a high pair unless he was a big girl, so he, too, probably had a high /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

On the turn, UTG checked, UTG+2 bet, I raised, UTG called 2 cold, and UTG+2 called. If I had to guess at that point, I would have put UTG on the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and UTG on AKo or AQo with the K/images/graemlins/spade.gif or Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

The river was the J/images/graemlins/club.gif.

UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, I bet, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

UTG had A/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif, but UTG+2 had A/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif for the turned higher set, and HHIG. He sure played his hand like a little girl, though.

For God's sake, man, 3-bet the flop, 3-bet the turn! Do you have any idea how many hands you just outdrew?

Joe Tall
07-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Sent,

When you have a big multiway pot building and an aggressor your implied odds with a pocket pair thrive. When you flop a set you will make up much more on later streets than the immediate preflop odds you are getting to flop your set (7.5:1).

Peace,
Joe Tall