PDA

View Full Version : QQ again, better?

pilamsolo
07-14-2004, 12:38 AM
Continuing my quest to play QQ better, since I've gone broke with them more than any other hand.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($63)
SB ($130.50)
BB ($43.50)
UTG ($73.75)
UTG+1 ($107.25)
UTG+2 ($56.50)
MP1 ($18.50)
MP2 ($89.50)
MP3 ($117)
Hero ($132)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $2, MP3 raises to $4, Hero raises to $10, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $16, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($36.50) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 bets $36.5, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $73
<font color="green">Main Pot: $36.50, won by MP3.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $36.50, returned to MP3.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP3 wins $73. </font>

Better this time?

Ionphore
07-14-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't think I would lay down QQ there. He did preflop raise/reraise...
It would really be player dependant so I am curious if you have any notes on the guy. You do have him covered by a little bit.

I guess I feel like going through your different options here since I am bored at work:

1. Calling...
Well he is making a pot sized bet - this tells me he doesent want to give a drawing hand odds to beat him, specifically a flush draw. So if you just call - he may very well put you on a flush draw. This could work to your advantage if a diamond falls - you have the backdoor flush draw - but that may not be a live backdoor draw if he has KK or AA with a diamond. But it may be live if he has JJ with a diamond.
2. Raising...
If you raise you really get to find out if hes got it or not. For one - you have position on the guy. So if he calls/checks - maybe hes on the flush draw. Or he calls/bets, you probably want to fold assuming you dont catch a Q. And a diamond definately scares a bit. If he reraises - then you just drop the hand.
3. Folding...
There are only a few likely hands that beat you - if you don't like this flop for your Q's then basically by folding you are telling me you need to catch a Q not to fold. And if you only catch a Q 1/7 times and always fold to bets on the flop - you might as well not play Q's...

So overall - I like reraising, and calling even may have merit. Just my thoughts, I am no expert though...

creedofhubris
07-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Not many hands are going to reraise you preflop and be behind on this flop. You lose to the other big pairs, AA, KK, JJ. You are ahead of AK and TT, but that's a hell of a flop bet for those two hands. It takes a real maniac to reraise preflop with AJ.

This is a pretty clear fold, made more clear because your preflop raise helped define your opponent's hand.

Good job.

Wayfare
07-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I do not play on UB, but on party (assuming you have those stacks) your play seems correct. If he is a re-min raiser he probably has a monster (AA/KK/QQ/JJ). I would put him on aces or kings, almost certainly not on JJ based on his post-flop play. If he had AK, then he got you for a little, however I think that you got the "best of it" on this hand.

SlyAK
07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
As soon as you are re-raised PF you need to take a 'no set, no bet' attitude, unless this guy is a maniac. The only reasonable hand you are ahead of is AK, and the min-reraise screams KK or AA to me, so I doubt that he has big slick here.

Find a better spot to get your money in. Good fold.

Sly

Richie Rich
07-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Good laydown. I'd say with a high probability you were up against AA/KK and could only win if you hit a set on the flop. Calling the $6 raise was good, because the implied odds were there if you hit your set. However, you didn't have correct odds to call his flop bet -- assuming he has AA/KK or even JJ.

You're learning, grasshopper.