PDA

View Full Version : Standard or a bit nutty?

Tosh
07-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Playing a quick $30 SNG on Party before I get some much needed sleep, this hand just came up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t830)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t785)</font>
BB (t800)
<font color="C00000">UTG (t755)</font>
UTG+1 (t830)
UTG+2 (t785)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t755)
MP3 (t845)
CO (t830)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t40</font>, Hero calls t30, BB calls t25, UTG calls t25, UTG+2 calls t25, MP2 calls t25.

Flop: (t240) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t175</font>, UTG calls t175, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t745 (All-In)</font>.

codewarrior
07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Dumb all-in re-raise this early.

Tosh
07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Easy to say, as with these things your reasoning is more important than your answer.

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I think the purpose of the all-in is sound, taking down the pot uncontested. However, I think a bet of 125-200 would do the same and if you are called you arent crippled, or worse yet, eliminated. If you did get a caller and got another low card comes on the turn you could always fire another bulletm assuming he didnt have an overpair he would prolly lay it down by now.

pokerkai
07-13-2004, 09:12 PM
I think its a bit nutty.

With such a small raise from the button pf you cant really put the bb on any kind of hand. He could easily have a deuce and with 240 already in the pot and the flush draw on board, he could very well be trying to take the pot then and there because his hand can degrade very easily on the turn and river.

The cold call from the utg smells like a flush draw.

I would fold this hand 9/10 times simply because i can find better situations to double up that are not as dicy.

But IF I were to play this, I think a raise to 400 is in order. If the bb plays back at you and raises all in your pretty much assured of a deuce. You are at the VERY least going to be up against a flush draw if this goes to a showdown. And if its a flush draw with two overcards, your barely a favorite to win it, nevermind if it becomes a three way up and over which wouldnt suprise me on any PP SnG.

codewarrior
07-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I would qualify my answer, but it has been more eloquently put by other posters. All-in? Dumb. Reraise? Good play, maybe even an overbet - when he comes over the top, easy fold. If he calls, be cautious of a trap and cheack/fold. To avoid these descisions, just fold this hand this early and wait for a better spot later. I was a Party $30 regular a year or so ago - give respect that he may actually play g00t this early, and if it is a bluff, let it go - lots more poker to be played... Sorry if I came across as an ass earlier /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Didn't mean to - that kind of night, don't you know...

Jason Strasser
07-14-2004, 12:56 AM
I have to disagree with this logic.

Tosh, if you are going to make a reraise, you sure as hell better commit your stack. You should not raise to 400, watch an over card come, and get scared into check/folding or whatever.

Now whether you should be going over the top is a different issue. I tend to think you'd be ahead of the BBs bet, generally I'd put him on a higher pair then 33, but probably less than 99, it's just the amount of callers behind you is scary. It's tough, I really think you cant argue with your play, especially if TT and up are common raising hands vs. limping hands. However I would not be surprised at all to be called by trips, or even a flush draw.

Edit: I slightly misread the posts. They are suggesting to lead out on the flop. I prefer the check raise all-in.

Tosh
07-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Codewarrior, Jason et al. This was my thought process.

I check to see what develops before I put in any chips, I want to see who bets, how much what others do etc. Straight away the guy on left bets and gets called. I feel I'm sunk, especially if the raiser gets involved too. Everyone folds, hmmm, I still go to fold but then think, why? There's no real strong indication I'm beat, I have a solid hand for the situation and even if everyone folds I pick up a nice pot. The bettor may have a smaller pair than mine, he may have a draw, he may have nothing and of course he may have me beat.

I move in, BB folds, the caller thinks for ages - I'm now hoping he will call - he does and shows A4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I double up, when I almost folded.

patrick dicaprio
07-14-2004, 08:23 AM
i think it is the right play. most times you will be heads up versus a draw here as a higher pair than yours would have raised more preflop. i dont think you are hoping to win it right there but to get called by a worse hand.

Pat