PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Jane Austin novel

smudgex68
07-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Jane Austin. I'm loving her. What's your favourite completed novel by Ms Austin.

ThaSaltCracka
07-13-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jane Austin. I'm loving her. What's your favourite completed novel by Ms Austin.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you fuckin serious?

smudgex68
07-13-2004, 06:08 PM
About as serious as the people who post about baseball teams, George Bush and other ridiculous topics

ThaSaltCracka
07-13-2004, 06:15 PM
haha, touche /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Utah
07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Sorry, too busy being a male to read them.

Phat Mack
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
What's your favourite completed novel by Ms Austin.

This used to be one of my favorite pick-up lines in my salad days. It quickly weeds out the dolts.

But to answer your question: I always like Persuasion because of its sense of redemption. I also like Pride and Prejudice for the same reason; also for its conversations and its wit. Emma I think has the most to say on the modern topic of women and their roles in society. In many ways, Mansfield Park is the most skillfully constructed and written, but something of a downer to read and its moral conventions are difficult to understand in modern terms. Northanger Abbey is a good early effort. Sense and Sensibility is basically silly and my least favorite--I only read it every few years or so.

Difficult to decide. Depends on my mood, I guess.

Homer
07-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Ummm, wasn't the movie Clueless based on Emma? I guess I'll vote for that since it's the closest I've come to actually reading one of her books.

My gf basically majored in Jane Austen, so maybe I can get her to make a guest appearance, assuming this thread is serious.

-- Homer

Malarky
07-14-2004, 12:07 AM
readin is fer nerds dogg

John Cole
07-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Sense and Sensibility, though, has a great cameo role in Harvey, perhaps my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie.

smudgex68
07-14-2004, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wasn't the movie Clueless based on Emma

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was, with Alicia Silverstone if I remember correctly, but I still think Gwyneth Paltrow was excellent in the Emma film. I can't believe I forgot to include Emma in my list. There's also another unfinished novel, apart from Sanditon, by Jane Austin but I can't remember its title.

smudgex68
07-14-2004, 08:40 AM
One of my favourites is Persuasion, partly because I think it might be the most autobiographical novel by her. I think she did have some romantic involvement with a naval captain during her time in Bath although in the end she never married. Perhaps your gf knows more on this subject.
Thanks

jokerswild
07-14-2004, 11:00 AM
What an intellectual you are, welcher!

I'd bet that you haven't read Kafka, Joyce, Thomas Mann, Lawrence, Eliot, Dostoyevsky, Hugo, Tolstoy, nor Faulkner either. Probably philosophy is too taxing for you.
Phenomonology, existentialism, and decontructionalism I'd bet aren't your cup of tea.

No good redneck would ever read Husserl, Satre, Heiddigger, or Diderot.

I'd bet that you haven'r even read Thus Spake Zarathustra.

Oh wait! True mental giants like you probably read the Drudge Report!

John Cole
07-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Diderot?

Zeno
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Diderot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps Denis Diderot, a French philosopher of the 18th Century and one of the sparks of the 'enlighenment'.

-Zeno

John Cole
07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Zeno,

I know who he is; I just wondered how he fit into the list. An old PBS show featured a guy who used Colonial woodworking methods, and he would often illustrate concepts using Diderot's encyclopedia.

crash
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
You don't have to be poorly educated or anti-intellectual to think reading Heidegger, Hegel, Sartre, etc. is boring, or a waste of time.

Plus I agree w/ Utah that having a favorite JA novel makes you kind of girly.

jokerswild
07-14-2004, 04:43 PM
It's an inside joke. Utah laughingly accuses others of being psuedo intellectual, and claims that some huckster that he paid for an IQ test called him a genius.

I'm not saying your stupid if you aren't well read. You can hardly be intellectual, however, without a broad knowledge of history, philosophy, economics, literature, and the arts.

Zeno
07-14-2004, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... I just wondered how he fit into the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of figured that was the case, but I blabbed away anyway. Perhaps a bit silly of me but not a first, I am sure.

The 'philosopher' list is, I guess, discordant in some ways. But I couldn't really tell - some of the people are unknown to me. An admittance of my inadequacies as an 'intellectual'.

By the way, I have not read any Jane Austin. I did, however, read the marvel action comic edition of Nietzsche's 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'. The illustrations were top notch but I was baffled by the text.

I shall make an effort to be more circumspect in the future and curb my misanthropy – I place the above screed as evidence of this.

-Zeno

PS: That old PBS show, was that something called 'Yankees workshop' or something similar? I think I saw a few episodes long ago when the world was young and gay. No 'modern tools' were ever used etc.