PDA

View Full Version : Pair of A with low kicker. BB hand!

Siingo
07-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi!

Would you have beted the river too? Or maybe checked at the turn? Please also tell me why you play it like you do!

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

I post why I played it like I did later and the results!

Thanks!

chief444
07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Top pair weak kicker is always a tough one to play.

I would probably check the flop and see what happens. If there is a late position bet I will often raise. If there is an early position bet and someone else raises it's a pretty easy fold. If there's an EP bet and several callers then I probably call as well and check the turn again unimproved.

With your play here, I would probably bet the river again with 3 opponents. But I don't think checking is horrible either. I'd say it's unlikely you have the best hand (ignoring the fact that the river was checked through) but that doesn't mean it's incorrect to bet with 3 opponents either as if they all just call you only need to be ahead 1/4 times for the bet to be correct.

Songwind
07-13-2004, 02:50 PM
I would expect someone with a big AX, or KK, to raise pre-flop, and certainly to raise on that flop, so I would proceed as though your hand was good unless shown otherwise.

SoCalPat
07-13-2004, 03:03 PM
With three players left to act after the river card falls, I'd check this one down too. The likelihood of someone holding a garbage two pair, or an A with a better kicker (unfortunately, you won't chop with A8 or A9 here) is there.

They won't bet their hand (they're equally afraid of their poor kicker or two pair floating out there), but they'll definitely call a bet. It's the old axiom, "You'll only be called by hands better than yours."

kenewbie
07-13-2004, 03:14 PM
I would check this and see where the bet comes from. If its late position with one or no players between you, raise.

Betting out like this into a pretty large field with top pair and a weak kicker is not a really good idea. Your hand might allready be beaten and people get odds to draw out on you.

k

Siingo
07-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the answers!

At the flop I beted becaus I wanted to know if someone had a good hand that they should raise me. And if noone should raise then i was hopping that some peopel should fold. Kenewbie I guess you talked about the flop right?! If you did then you had some nice thoughts that I will think more about. Your play seems better than mine.

At the turn I beted to get some more to fold since some players always call at the flop but fold at the river. Since noone folded I got scared.

At the river I was thinking like SoCalPat but I was also afraid that someone had slowplayed. That seems to be the favorit style at 1/2 and if they was going for a drawinghand then they would only call if they got there hand and then probably raise me too. Beting out seemed stupid.

Here is the results:

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah 7c (one pair, aces).
UTG+2 shows Ac 2s (one pair, aces).
MP2 shows Kh Qc (one pair, kings).
CO shows 5h 7h (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Sent
07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
I am really at odds as to what to do with a weak kicker from the blinds, bet out? Check? What? If there are only 1-2 opponents ill bet it everytime. More than that it just gets ugly, especially with Aces

-Sent

Kluddeludde
07-13-2004, 04:54 PM
You have a clear value bet at the river. You will get calls from crappy hands here all the time.

Kludde

Kluddeludde
07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I would say it is very incorrect not to bet the river here. You will be surprised with the kind of hands they are calling you with here.

Kludde

Kluddeludde
07-13-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since noone folded I got scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calls at these limits rarely mean anything. Yes, rarely mean anything. The way the hand played out you should proceed at the river as if your hand is good.

Kludde