PDA

View Full Version : Table image. Is there really such a thing @micro limits?

radek2166
07-13-2004, 01:37 PM
I have to wonder i just played 100 hands at a .10/.20 table at pacific. some fool sat down with 850 dollars.

Onto the questions. I won 12 hands. lost 25 hands. both numbers are if i got involved in a pot, however that might have been. bb count sb only count if i rasied or called.

out of the 25 hands i lost 9 were bg blinds that were not raised and folded post flop.

i raised 6 times. once out of the bb. twice out of the sb. and 3 times somewhere else.

hands i raised with.

oobb. a q off suit. lost. out of the sb. aa lost. and qq and lost.

the 3 other rasies are. 99 lost, kk, lost and qq lost.

from memory out of those hands i lost to a pp once.

i had pp 9 times in 100 hands. with a pp i won 2 hands. both i floped the set.

one of the pp that stands out. i got raised post flop when i hit my set.i reraise get he caps and we got 1 along for the ride. turn comes he bets out i raise he rr i cap. still one other guy calling the whole way.

the river comes the rasier bets it. board is 10h, 7c,5c, 2h, 2c,. i make my full house so the betting gets capped. he made his flush.

i guess what i am getting at here is their truely a to image at low limits?

fire away at how poorly this is written.

please give me ur thoughts on table image though at lower limits.

cardcounter0
07-13-2004, 01:51 PM
There is a little key on your keyboard marked "shift". Use it, you might like it.

Yes and No to table image at micro limits. If you are at a table where players are jumping in and out every three hands, No. If the other players are only interested in what they have, and seem to give no consideration to what you might be holding when you bet, No.

However, if you are at a table where a lot of the players are staying for multiple orbits, and they aren't any-two every-flop players -- Yes, they are probably forming a table image about you. Especially if you sting them hard with a preflop raise a couple of times, and drag a big pot showing quality hands like AA, KK, etc. You will get "table image" real fast.

prayformojo
07-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I find table image becomes more important when playing at a short-handed table. This may be because you have an opportunity to win more pots more quickly and, if you play correctly and aggressively, you will often drag bigger pots than most micro players who would rather check their second pair, ace kicker to the river. If you make the fourth in a four-way game and drag a few big pots, and lose a big one with what they think is a bad play, you will be remembered.

That said, I also find that many micro players have a blind spot that extends to the entire screen, with the exception of their own cards and the board.

Bill Smith
07-13-2004, 02:25 PM
First off: flame flame flame flame flame
(for the writing) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

To answer your question, usually not. Most opponents at the micro limits are inattentive and oblivious to what you're doing and do not generally read players. However, I've seen a couple exceptions to this:

The first is when a player or players take what they consider a "bad beat" against you and start to come after you with the belief that:

- You play poorly (say, for chasing few outs on large pots)
- You can't get "lucky" every time (you're due to lose)

This may also happen when you make a +EV play that uninformed players find questionable. For example, I check-raised a flush draw that locked 4 players into a pot, and later in the hand, the river was checked through and I showed my failed flush draw. One player made a sarcastic comment about the play and for about the next 45 minutes the table loosened up against me.

When this happens, you will usually get rewarded as your opponents get more aggressive towards you. Of course, this also means you need to have something to showdown with - you can't just assume they are playing at you with nothing.

The other time table image may become important is when a lot of players are staying multiple orbits and have seen your successes or failures. Tables almost always become looser against me when I'm down, tighter when I'm up. If it turns out your playable hands in 5 or 6 orbits were all big pocket pairs, they may come to expect nothing but PP when you're in the pot.

These are exceptions rather than the rule, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of those circumstances when the table suddenly gains a collective attitude towards your play. Normally, you can assume they view you as just another player and are as happy to give you their money as they are everyone else.

kenewbie
07-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Some people do pay attention. Ofcourse others are playing multiple tables, eating or watching WPT reruns wondering why it doesnt work when they raise as a bluff with J4o from UTG. GUS HANSON DID IT DAMNIT!

I dont know how long you have been playing (I havent been playing that long myself) so maybe im preaching to the minister here but once you get used to reading people yourself you will see that your table image affects those who do pay attention.

If you sit down on a brand new table you will get a lot more coldcallers on your raises than if you have raised (and won mind you) with strong hands earlier.

It is not super-important in ringgames at this limit, it is much more serious at sit and go's or higher limits.

k

kenewbie
07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially if you sting them hard with a preflop raise a couple of times, and drag a big pot showing quality hands like AA, KK, etc. You will get "table image" real fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. The fun thing is that you get little to no respect for raising with good hands if you loose. Wierd.

k

radek2166
07-13-2004, 08:49 PM
that should rread big blinds that were raised and not called

radek2166
07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
As i wirte this I am playing in a .10/.20 game on pacific. Every hand is being atleast 2 bet b4 the flop with 5 players in. I just had a pp for the 3rd st hand. 55 was 1st folded after the flop. 77 was second folded after the flop. 3rd was qq all under cards on the flop i raised the flop. 5 all the way to the river. Under cards all the way took down 4 dollars.

I am just strugling with a table image right now. Understanding if it really exist @ low limits.

More input would be greatly appriceated.

adanthar
07-14-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Amen to that. The fun thing is that you get little to no respect for raising with good hands if you loose. Wierd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not weird at all. Nobody at micros is looking at hand histories so no one knows what you had.

In fact, you can safely assume that any cards you had that weren't shown to the table are known by, at most, one other person all the way to 2/4 (except maybe at PS; they play g00t).

cardcounter0
07-14-2004, 11:32 AM
1) Pacific is home to the fishyest of the fishes, so table image there is harder to establish than any other site.

2) .10/.20 is more nano-limit than micro-limit, you probably have to be at least .5/$1 before concepts like table image kick in.

radek2166
07-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Am I doing any good? 75 hands today. Up $5.32? Should I loosen up a bit? I play Axs, any pairs on low pair if im not tp I fold to aggresion. AK AQ AJ A10o. Thats preety much it. I dont defened blinds. If they are going to let me check with crap i will take the free cards.

I just watched some guy cap preflop with 96o and take i down with a rivered gut shot.

prayformojo
07-14-2004, 12:55 PM
It sounds like you're playing awfully tight for micros. If you never play a suited connector you're probably losing money.

Other than that, the incredibly brief session doesn't give much info. Post some hands, and people more knowledgeable than I can assist you.

cardcounter0
07-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Since you make no mention of position, I would assume you have lots of room for improvement.

There are many hands I will play with the button, that I won't play UTG.

Also, there are hands that I normally would fold, but play if a lot of people have limped in before me.

radek2166
07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Thats why I am here. To improve. I am getting lee jones book and, one of Sklansky's books. I allready have Inside the pokermind. As far as I can tell it really doe s not help where I am at now.

cardcounter0
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Here is a link to a great starting hand chart:

http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/preflop-abdul.html

Read some the hands posted here. Keep posting questions.

Good Luck!

radek2166
07-14-2004, 06:31 PM
thanks