PDA

View Full Version : TPTK until overcard hits on the turn . . .

Mr. D
07-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Early in a $20 SNG on Party. I have AJ UTG, flop is good . . 3 6 J, a couple diamonds. Not wanting to give the flush draw a chance, I bet the pot. 1 caller. Now a K hits on the turn, its heads up and I'm first. First question, should I bet here so as not to induce a bluff?

So . . right or wrong, I actually checked here. Now the late position player bets 2/3 of the pot which will cost me half my stack to call. I got screwed on a similar situation recently (except that there were 2 callers on a rainbow flop and I'd only bet half the pot) and so this this time I folded. Granted, I probably should have bet half the pot into the overcard on the turn and folded to a raise, but having checked and then faced with a significant bet representing that overcard is there any option other than folding? Being that its early in the tourney, I don't think I want to commit my whole stack with a raise on what has become middle pair and an overcard. Am I playing scared to give this up heads up?

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 01:28 PM
I would follow up with another bet here after this. But in general on the J high flop I would push and take down the pot right there.

edit: oops I was thinking you said you were heads up here, as in late in a tourney.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Early in any NL tournament, AJo anywhere outside LP is going in the muck preflop.

Mr. D
07-13-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early in any NL tournament, AJo anywhere outside LP is going in the muck preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. I read something of this sort recently. A pro simply dosen't put himself in this position by playing those starting cards.

What if we change the situation to AQo? Do you like the pot-sized bet out of position w/ TPTK? Do you bet into the overcard on the turn?

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Toss AQo in EP as well.

BradleyT
07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Raise AQo in EP!