PDA

View Full Version : short stacked with low PP against loose player

Meatmaw
07-13-2004, 12:47 PM
$10 Pokerstars SNG.
I have $T1000 UTG with pocket 4s in 100/200 blinds. 6 players remaining and I think BB has loose calling requirements. He has $T1100 before posting. Is pushing in too aggressive?

I figure against a player with loose calling requirements, I lose a lot of stealing equity and am 1 to 1 at best most of the time, whereas with two high cards like AK, I would end up 1 to 1 sometimes and 2 to 1 many times against this player.

Given that, would pushing be too much here?

Thanks

slogger
07-13-2004, 12:56 PM
You analyze the situation very well. Unfortunately, it looks like this is last point in this tourney that will have ANY folding equity (he's not likely to call with T7, is he?), so I think you should push. You've got a pair and when called, you're almost universally going to be on the positive end of a coinflip.

If you take your blinds (and fold to raises, likely), you'll be on the button with 700. Playable, but not pretty (how many hands left at 100/200 by the way?), and even doubling up then will only get you back to where you are now (but with rising blinds).

Jason Strasser
07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Tough. I thank you for not considering min raising or something. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You really don't want to be called with 44, but I think you should push, here is my logic.

Generally, if your stack was a little bigger, I'd maybe say to fold. But here you are about to eat the blinds. Assuming you are forced to either commit all your chips or fold in the blinds, and you dont get a hand to go to war with, you will be at 700. I'm not sure when the blinds go up, but if they go up soon it even strengthens my point. At 700, with the blinds 100/200, you lose a lot of your folding equity. Sure, its a ton better than being at 500, but you will lay a BB or SB correct odds to call your all-in with basically any two cards. Especially if I have a big stack, I am very eager to push my small edges and call all-ins with 1:2.5 odds, which I think can basically justify a call with mostly any 2 cards.

Once you lose the power to make people fold, the SNG largely becomes out of your control. You are going to need to showdown a hand to stick around. Pushing 44 UTG is risky, but I think eating the blinds is riskier. I prefer to take my chances and hope that no one calls, or hope that I'm in a coinflip situation.

I vote for all-in, but it's close. A lot closer than a lot of other all-in fold spots.

fyodor
07-13-2004, 01:56 PM
In the following hand I have 44 and go all-in to either steal it on the spot or get HU with UTG. I'm a dog to any overpair but the favourite to overcards. It helps that I easily have him covered.

Anyhow I thought the chance he would fold balanced the chance of him holding an overpair. As it turned out the BB called and UTG mucked.

I had the best hand going in and it held up. The BB called me an idiot after he got busted but the idiot went on to win 1st in a field of 1231.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t17808)
MP1 (t6881)
MP2 (t3600)
CO (t13945)
Hero (t7174)
SB (t8010)
BB (t3565)
UTG (t2662)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG raises to t800, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Hero raises to t7174 (All-In), <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t3165 (All-In), UTG folds.

Flop: (t11739) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t11739) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t11739) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t11739

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qs Ac (one pair, twos).
Hero shows 4h 4d (two pair, fours and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins t11739. </font>