PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Move?

OMAX
07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi, last night I played in a live no limit texas holdem tournament that are held at local bars around where I live. I lost on a hand and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I misplayed my hand or I made the right move. I was on button, and was dealt AQ suited (diamonds). Blinds were called to me with 6 people still in the pot, so I made a 300 chip raise (hoping to narrow down the opponents). I only got one caller. Flop came A55, one diamond. Opponent checks, I raise all-in (2500 chips). He eventually calls, and turns over a AK unsuited against my AQ suited. I lose this hand, but was it the right move for me to make?

MLG
07-13-2004, 11:20 AM
It doesn't sound too bad, however it would help to know what the blind sizes were. If the blinds were about 25-50 I'd say you probably played it exactly right. Hard to say though without more information.

OMAX
07-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Blinds were at 50-100 when I made this play.

MLG
07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Ok, then while you hate running into A-K here and he played it very strangely you needed to raise more before the flop. 3x the big blind is a good number when you are open-raising (when nobody has called before its your turn to act), when people limp in before you just add one BB for each limper to your raise. Still tough way to go out, and the bet on the flop is completely right.

chet
07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
He trapped you. Why bet so much? You have top pair, and a good kicker, but not top kicker.

How much was in the pot? About 800-1000? If he calls, you're likely beaten. If he folds you've won a small pot. He has something given his pre flop call. His check could signify weakness in which case a pot sized bet achieves the same thing as your all in--ie he folds.

If he calls or raises, then you have more info, and you still have 1500 chips or more.