PDA

View Full Version : General advice

Oddchild
07-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi Guys. A bit of an intro.
Just really got into the game over the last 3 months, but I have caned it, playing around 5 hours a day on average. I tend to stick to $20 tourneys and $50-$100 NL shorthand tables.
I am about $2500 to the good but I have only broke even over the last 2 or 3 weeks.
I have never played limit really, and was wondering whether you guys think it is beneficial. Are the games easier. What level should I start at?

Also, I bought Statking, which is great. Today I bought Pokertracker. How highly do you guys rate this product?

Thanks for any replies, and hope I don't upset any regulars by going over old ground.

Oddchild.

Zag
07-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Oddchild. Welcome.

When you say the "$50-$100 NL tables," I assume you mean the amount of the max buy-in. There aren't many of us who play with the blinds that big. /images/graemlins/smile.gif For your experience, you really can't draw any conclusions from this much play. You have to have in the neighborhood of 25,000 hands before you start to think of it as long term.

Lots of people here use pokertrakr, with great results. I have to admit that I have tried it, but haven't made much use of it. I know that the one use to which I really want to put it is identifying the specific hands with which I show a long-term loss. Then I can rethink how I play those hands, or else just stop playing them altogether.

I haven't heard much of Stat King.

Oddchild
07-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Hi Zag.

Thanks for the reply and yes, $50-$100 is the max I can take to the table!!!

I am having to be very patient at the minute, because I am losing some of my winnings. I dabbled in $1-$2 Limit last night and was horrified at what was happening. Whenever I got a hand, I would keep betting to their checks, only to be beaten on the river via a runner-runner. So frustrating!!!
Gonna come back to NL tonite in the local tourney. Strange, but I have been having excellent results - unbelievable really - in Live games, but online I am only just above break even. Is this a common trait?