PDA

View Full Version : poorly played flush hand

bilbo-san
07-13-2004, 04:44 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

MP2 is pretty loose, and of average aggressiveness, but I've seem him make several river bets with crap like second pair, weak kicker, so I'm reluctant to give him credit for the nuts.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

A loose call? I think QTs is playable in MP, but maybe I'm too loose.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB bets, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 raises, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, BB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, Hero calls.

With the straight on the board and the fact that MP2 is definitely the type that thinks Axo is a good hand, I thought I was competing with the wheel here.

River: (13.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero calls.

Here, I find out I'm probably wrong. Should I have bet and called a raise, or checked and called?

Results in white.
Final Pot: 19.75 BB
<font color="white">
Hero shows [ Qh Th ] [ a flush, ace high -- Ah,Qh,Th,4h,3h ]
MP2 shows [ Kh 2h ] [ a flush, ace high with king kicker -- Ah,Kh,4h,3h,2h ]
</font>

SnakeRat
07-13-2004, 05:10 AM
Your wheel read should go out the window when he caps the turn.

Its clear he has a flush, the only question is if its Khigh flush or straight flush.

This is a bad spot to C/R, you will get 3-bet when beat, and it might get checked through by something which would pay you off.

Bet and call a raise.

PS.
I have seen players cap turns and rivers with weak holdings in situations like this, if you ever see anyone do this be sure to make a note of it and cap your near nuts hands vs them.

bilbo-san
07-13-2004, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your wheel read should go out the window when he caps the turn.

Its clear he has a flush, the only question is if its Khigh flush or straight flush.

This is a bad spot to C/R, you will get 3-bet when beat, and it might get checked through by something which would pay you off.

Bet and call a raise.

PS.
I have seen players cap turns and rivers with weak holdings in situations like this, if you ever see anyone do this be sure to make a note of it and cap your near nuts hands vs them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's part of my problem with my read. I didn't consider him overly aggressive, but had seen him bet weak hands into dangerous boards.

Nevertheless, should have just bet/called the river. Sigh. Hope he keeps playing K2s too.

Joe Tall
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
QTs is surely playable on a loose passive table. If you were in later position you should raise it after limpers.

You should consider 3-betting the flop when it comes back to you for 2-bets and tie everyone to the pot versus 3 or more opponents.

After the turn is capped (which is fine), I'd bet the river, I would hate to see this checked through.

Peace,
Joe Tall

RED_RAIN
07-13-2004, 10:05 AM
No one mentioned anything about check/raising the turn?

bilbo-san
07-13-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned anything about check/raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm. May have been better, true.