PDA

View Full Version : Bigger valuebet?

gergery
07-13-2004, 04:10 AM
I feel I haven't gotten all the value i could on my strong hands at river. Who bets heavier here? I was thinking that he would have to fold to a big bet or allin, but maybe not. I didn't have much read on him yet.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

UTG (t2620)
MP1 (t910)
MP2 (t2340)
CO (t1250)
Button (t2050)
Hero (t1310)
BB (t590)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t30, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t120) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets t80, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls t80.

River: (t280) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets t200, MP2 calls t200.

Final Pot: t680

Results in white below: <font color="black">
MP2 shows Qh Td (full house, fours full of queens).
Hero shows 4s Ts (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins t680. </font>

Joboo
07-13-2004, 05:50 AM
I may be wrong on this, but here's my thinking: if he has a boat, either 5s or Qs full of 4s, he will call a bigger bet, possibly even an all in. If he doesn't have a boat, then he won't call any decent sized bet. Therefore, I think you should bet larger (I personally might try the all in to look like an overzealous steal), not expecting to be called that often, but getting paid off better when you are.

ZootMurph
07-13-2004, 09:34 AM
I'd have thrown out a small bet on the flop... something that looks like a bluff, maybe T50. The Queen should call, and maybe one other... might even get someone bluffing back into you, which would be real nice.

Show that you are afraid on the turn by checking, since you have the nuts, you can give a free card now.

If there was a no betting on the turn and have 2 or 3 players with you, bet a little more than the size of the pot, which is bigger because you bet into it earlier. If it is heads up, move all in. He probably has a Queen and would be hard pressed to fold it, especially since it won't bust him.

In your specific river situation, because of the passivity of the hand, I'm pretty sure it looks like a trap play. I think you could have bet up to T400 and gotten a call... not much more, I think. Again, betting earlier makes the pot bigger, which makes it harder to get away from when you throw down a very large bet. To make the most of hands like this, throw in small bets in the early rounds. Also, throw in small bets in situations like these often from SB and BB, whether you have something or not, so that you get callers when you actually have hit something.