PDA

View Full Version : General SNG question

sapster
07-13-2004, 02:42 AM
I was wondering what some of the better sng players thought of my recent exit in a 10$ sng. I'm in the SB with 7 players left, blinds 25/50 and i have around 1k. One person folds and everyone else limps, i look down to see KJo and push. How awful was this? An EP limper had JJ btw and im out.

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 03:06 AM
KJ just isnt an all-in hand in 99% of situations ever, let alone that early, maybe a 3X BB bet if you wanted to semi bluff into it and if he reraised then you know where you stand, which is on the rail watching the hand because you are getting out fast. Just for reference, 80% of the time I just muck KJ early in tournies,or limp looking for the str8 or 2 pair, it usually only gets you in trouble with one pair.

MicroBob
07-13-2004, 03:10 AM
this is a truly terrible play.
did you really think everyone was going to fold to you here??

sorry for being harsh but this was just plain awful. not quite the very worst play i have ever read on these forums....but probably in the top 5 or 10.

edit - i also think a couple of my own hands qualify among the top 10 worst hands i have read on these forums. and then there were all those terrible hands that i didn't even post here due to embarassment and lack of educational value.

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 03:21 AM
well out of micro and I I think i win the award for most tactfully written post, haha.

Jsb
07-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Yeah, at this point in an SNG, KJo is just trouble, almost all of the time i muck it. the blinds aren't really high enough to try to steal, and you can't really count on the folding equity because with that many limpers, chances are if you push, someone will call. and anyone who calls is almost guarunteed to have a better hand than KJ. If you wanted to narrow the field, a 3BB raise would have done the trick, and if reraised you could make an easy lay down.
in your shoes there, personally, i either would have completed to see the flop since with that many limpers you're getting good pot odds, or folded.

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 03:32 AM
well said jsb, and micro, and myself /images/graemlins/grin.gif I do have to regretfully agree with micro in placing this is one of my top ten worst pushes list though.

sapster
07-13-2004, 04:36 AM
ok so im a complete bufoon. My line of thinking was increasing my stack by from 1k to 1.3k after everyone shows weakness wasnt too awful and its rare that someone limps with JJ+ (sigh guess not). I was playing 3 other sngs at the time and have been experimenting with much more aggressive play, before u think im a complete idiot i monied in the other 3 sngs, one in which i pushed KJ utg 5handed etc. Just trying to find out the threshhold for making these plays, and I agree that this was a stretch and bordered on insanity =p. Thanks for the kind replies lol.

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 04:45 AM
I think you will see that when there are already 4 limpers in or so JJ will limp if the player is experienced because he doesnt want to put money into a pot that he will most likely not be the best hand after the flop. Pushing KJ 5-handed is still risky but at least I can see the reasoning there, however, lev 3 you just cant do that with that many limpers, just think that even A2 is ahead of you preflop.

sapster
07-13-2004, 04:58 AM
Yeh i agree i limp with JJ in that spot too, and obviously lots of people limp with smaller pairs and might be willing to gamble, I see my mistakes much more clearly now =p

Jurollo
07-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Good good... just if you ever see yourself in a SNG with me, give me some chips /images/graemlins/grin.gif