PDA

View Full Version : Releasing TP to action in 2/4

eastbay
07-13-2004, 02:42 AM
As a NL player, you live and die by top pair. Apparently in limit, it's more dying than living.

Typically, is there any reason to release TPTK to a check-raise on the turn? A check-raise on the river? Check-raises on the turn and river?

I've been shown sets, straights, and flushes almost as a rule when I hit that kind of action.

Of course, I've only been playing limit for two days, so who knows. But I feel like I'm going to have to learn to let go of TPTK at some point.

eastbay

Danenania
07-13-2004, 02:48 AM
The thing is that usually when you have TP you've been betting and raising from the start so the pot is pretty large. This makes folding the best hand even once a huge error. You usually have to be over 90% certain to fold for one bet on the river and that kind of certainty is rare. Folding on the turn isn't quite as bad because you save more bets, but you still need to be pretty sure (plus you often have outs). Absent a strong read, calling down is really your only defense against crazy players and crazy plays when the pot is big.

nepenthe
07-13-2004, 02:53 AM
eastbay,

I don't know where you play, but I know that at Party there is a significant legion of maniacs who will not only bet, but RAISE the river with busted flush draw, busted straight draw, or even ace high. And this is after you or someone else raised/3-bet the turn.

Don't fold TPTK or better in a big pot unless the board and action obviously scream that you're beat.