PDA

View Full Version : WLLH and Ed's advice... a perfect example (i think) of agressive play

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Loose/passive table.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (3 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (7 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Td Th (two pair, kings and tens).
BB shows Ts 9h (two pair, kings and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB. </font>

Joe826
07-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Raise PF and you'd be good to go.

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 02:48 AM
I think raising pre-flop is 50/50 sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. Any arguement as to why i should be raising TT in that posistion?

Brian
07-13-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any arguement as to why i should be raising TT in that posistion?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the 6th best hand in Hold'em?

-Brian

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 03:07 AM
yes it is, but VERY difficult to play after the flop. I like to play it for it's set value, or the chance that it's an overpair to the board. It's very difficult IMO to play it correctly when coming in for a raise when overcards flop.

Brian
07-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi Nemesis,

Many hands are difficult to play post-Flop; but that doesn't mean that you aren't giving up money by not raising them pre-Flop. When I began playing, I used those exact same reasons for not raising JJ-99 in that position. But you're flat out costing yourself money by not raising them.

-Brian

Ed Miller
07-13-2004, 03:19 AM
I think raising pre-flop is 50/50 sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. Any arguement as to why i should be raising TT in that posistion?

Here's a link to a post (http://www.internettexasholdem.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=45450#45450) I made on Matthew Hilger's forum yesterday. It might help you understand the decision more clearly.

nepenthe
07-13-2004, 03:21 AM
You should raise TT just about 100% of the time and I do the same with 99. You have one chance preflop to make the K2s, A7o, Q9o etc. type of hands to make the fold. You won't make them fold postflop if they hit. Grab the opportunity and raise preflop.

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 03:34 AM
Ok i understand putting in the raise with the "best hand" and what that does for your EV. How far do you take that idea? 22 is a slight favorite against overcards, but the implicit collusion of say 5 people seeing the flop with you pretty much makes you fold if you don't flop a set and there is a bet. Does the preflop raise value come from the fact that in a loose game most people will have 1 overcard instead of 2, or the fact that it's possible for a flop to come with no overcards to the tens, but overcards MUST come for the pair of 2's. I hope that made sense.

Ed Miller
07-13-2004, 03:37 AM
22 is a slight favorite against overcards, but the implicit collusion of say 5 people seeing the flop with you pretty much makes you fold if you don't flop a set and there is a bet.

You are somewhat confused about what the term "best hand" means in this context. In the context of raising preflop, it means roughly, "the hand that is most likely to win the pot once all the cards are out." 22 is almost never that hand against two or more opponents. TT, however, is often that hand.

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 03:41 AM
makes sense... i've been playing a lot of NL sng's lately so perception is a bit skewed. A pair of 2's has a decent chance of being the "best hand" as you label it there because you can get heads up against most people and be the small favorite. Anyway off topic... that makes it much more clear.