PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Frustrating but I think I'm handling it right?

WSOPWinner2005
07-13-2004, 02:38 AM
The last two days have been exceptional. The cards landed when they should of, missed a couple draws when the odds were there but that is natural - a part of the game. I can't expect to win EVERY single hand just because the odds of me winning it are there.

Does anyone get that feeling when they wake up it's not the right day to play? Well, I had it today... I cashed out some money for my house payment and car payment.. Left enough for 10 buyins at the level of NLHE I plan on playing right now plus a bit extra.... In case I had a rough night.

Night started off ok, won two 4 person HU trnys b2b along with a $50.00 hu trny. Then things went sour. I played a HU NLHE mtt at stars (128 max) and went out the FIRST round to a horrendous player. I blew it off and was still able to laugh. Then out of 3 mtt's I busted out within 90 minutes on each one.

For some reason this frustrated me ALOT more then losing a ring game hand, I mean ALOT more. However I didn't let it effect my play and signed up for a turbo $11 mtt to the Sunday event. Played every hand perfectly, made a few small bluffs when blinds became extreme... Besides that I was only in hands when I knew I had the best of it, or the amount of a bet on the flop (with a reasonable hand example I hold JT flop QQJ - someone held KT turn was a 9) would put the remaining players all in. So the only way they were calling was if pot odds dictated there draw, they were idiots, or had the best of me. In the case above it wasn't a bad beat merely a good drawing hand with pot odds that landed for the guy.

None the less this hand didn't effect my play, I kept at the same style of play.. In the meantime I won a $50.00 HU game and lost a $100 NLHE Hu game on a hand I shouldn't of but hey that happens...

Down to 27, and 13 payout... 12 get a seat. I go out to a hand that made me feel like I was in a paradise poker mtt. For some reason this was the last straw for me. I nearly blew my top over something as stupid as the possibility of $215.00.

I think the main reason being if I hit that seat I was BE plus a bit for the night, now I am negative.

I realized that for some reason MTT's effect my mind frame more then ANY single bad beat at a ring game ever has. Well I can't say EVER.. But since I have gotten a handle on my tilt.

Still not tilting what so ever, but I just can't see sitting at another game tonight - I may later just a $100 NLHE ring game or something but not until ALL the steam is out of me because playing right now, I WILL TILT. And that is enough reason not to sit.

I was wondering what others thoughts are on this. Do you let MTT defeats effect your mind frame more then other games? How about bad beats in NLHE HU Trnys whether single, two, or multi table.

I have seen nothing but great replies in this area of the forum, a nice change to some of the smart ass comments you get in other areas. Thanks to reading this section of 2 + 2 I have improved my game dramatically as far as my psychological mindframe when I play and overall thought put into my entire game not just my ability to play.

StellarWind
07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go out to a hand that made me feel like I was in a paradise poker mtt.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this mean? Is Paradise special?

Leo Bello
07-13-2004, 12:42 PM
You asked what others do?
I get up to watch TV, stay with my wife and cool down.

WSOPWinner2005
07-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Sorry, should not of put it that way. At paradise when you reach a final table of any major trny you are playing with 10 big bets 80% of the time or more. Even the monster stack typically has less then 20 BB's - I see crazy play because of the lack of chips vs the type of play I would expect to see if blinds were relatively lower at the final table.

I watched when gank won the 35K a while back. I am sure Brett will remember this himself, he was in seat #9 or #10 and a huge push to him. He was the large stack at the table at the time and there were 9 or 10 people left at the FT. He pushed in over the top and 2 more callers besides the original pusher. Cards flipped over.

Couple pocket pairs anmd a AK or AQs - Brett had Q9

He hits his money card and knocks out 3 people. Then singlehandedly takes out EVERY remaining play at the table in 10 minutes. IT was the most surreal thing i have ever seen - and it wasn't because of skill /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well last night I ended up surfing a couple sites I liked, chilling out on the couch, and grabbing a bite to eat. I ended up coming back and winning $550.00 which put me back into the positives. So it turned out to be a good night afterall.

Jeffage
07-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Not to be unsympathetic, but you will have a lot of bad nights playing poker. And bad weeks. And maybe even some bad/subpar months. Poker doesn't pay like a paycheck even though we sometimes want it to. In 10 years, you will make exactly what you deserve to at poker, win, lose or draw. If you let a bad run cause you to tilt and play bad, you will pay the price. I've played awhile now so I rarely get angry or terribly frustrated. If I do, I'm not gonna play anymore that day...breaks are good. And they are alot cheaper than playing angry, tired, hungry, etc. Just take it one day at a time...you can only control how YOU play, not how the cards fall. But DO examine your game if you really run bad (more than ONE day)...you've never learned all you can.

Jeff

SossMan
07-13-2004, 06:47 PM
What do you care if you have an off night...after all, aren't you just biding your time until next May?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WSOPWinner2005
07-13-2004, 08:02 PM
True, should be 7.5 mil in my pocket next year - I best qualify through stars though or I have no chance! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Leo Bello
07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you care if you have an off night...after all, aren't you just biding your time until next May?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very funny.