PDA

View Full Version : Learning MTT's... Did I play this hand correctly?? MTT Experts....

snowbank
07-12-2004, 10:18 PM
I am new to MTT's. This was probably my 3rd MTT. Here is the hand I was eliminated on:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed)

MP3 (t19090)
Hero (t15936)
Button (t2155)
SB (t25135)
BB (t17623)
UTG (t84064)
UTG+1 (t50914)
MP1 (t67143)
MP2 (t21598)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to t3600, Hero raises to t15861, Button calls t2080 (All-In), SB folds, BB folds, MP3 calls t12261.

Flop: (t34327) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t34327) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t34327) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t34327

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP3 shows Td Tc (one pair, tens).
Hero shows Kh Ac (high card, ace).
Button shows Ks As (high card, ace).
Outcome: MP3 wins t34327. </font>

I even read the pre-flop raiser correctly. I thought they either had medium high hand(9's to J's) or AK. I was either going to fold the hand, or move all-in. That is what I was thinking. Was this correct? Would anyone have just called there? Should I have moved in there? Blinds were getting higher so I didn't just want to sit back and blind away, I considered folding and waiting for another hand to move all-in, but I went for it. I wasn't trying to move up a pay level or I would have just folded without hesitation, I wanted to try and get to the final table. I ended up finishing 77th out of 1287. I certainly would have folded and moved up a pay level or two, but I was not playing a high stakes tourney and I want to become a good MTT player with enough knowledge to get to the final table, which is why I wasn't concerned with the pay levels. I was already in the money, as top 99 paid out, so I wanted to try and double up. Was this the right spot? Was my thought process correct? How would some of you MTT experts have played it? All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

holeplug
07-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I was MP3 this hand /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

snowbank
07-12-2004, 10:33 PM
HAHA. Nice hand man. I saw the reply name and was like "I did not just get whooped by a fellow 2 + 2er". Good luck the rest of the way man. After you win the tourney with my chips if you want to post a response to my play on the elimination hand I'd appreciate it.

Poker Jon
07-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Snow,

Everyone here will advocate push or fold.

I think the raise is fine - MP3 call - not too sure about. Still has another 16000 in chips or so, thus can easily fold this hand.

I sometimes, call the bet and see what the flop brings (not advocating that you do this - just a variation on the play), but if your A or K misses then you are done with the hand.

I personally try and avoid coinflips at any stage in a tournament if I have a decent amount of chips.

Some you win, some you lose unfortunately.

Cheers for the support tonight.

Jon

Toro
07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I just got eliminated in a Stars nl multi and I misplayed AK even worse than you did.

Had about 15000 in chips and this was above average. Blinds were 100/200 and an early position player made it 600 to go and I called. This is a play that I don't usually make here. I usually raise in this spot but for some reason played it like a pussy.

Flop comes 10,6,5 and he bets out 1000. I should be through with the hand, right. Wrong. Now I don't want to let it go and I raise to 2800. He raises another increment to 4800 and now I totally blow the tourney by re-raising all-in.

The surprising thing is that he didn't have much of a hand, A6o. When I went over the hand in my head, I concluded that I never did anything preflop to make him believe I had anything but AK or AQ and that's why he didn't believe my bluff after the flop. Anyway, I totally botched it and AK is probably the hand that most people misplay the most.

snowbank
07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
So how do you think I "misplayed AK"?

snowbank
07-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks Jon. Glad to show my support. Congrats again on the great win!

Toro
07-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Actually no, I read your post wrong. I thought you didn't get it all-in until after flop similar to my hand. Generally speaking, with AK I'll move all-in but will be reluctant to call all-in. So you made a play that I make a lot. But you're going to find that small and medium pairs are increasingly not going to fold.

So to combat this you got to also push all-in with your big pairs from time to time.

SossMan
07-13-2004, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I would have admitted that publicly. That's a pretty bad call.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I would have admitted that publicly. That's a pretty bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing as I read that.

La Brujita
07-13-2004, 02:06 AM
FWIW I think you played this hand perfectly. This fits right in to the 2-4x pot size scenario for pushing with AK right out of TPFAP.

Hard to lay down AK to one raise.

Nice play.

Edit to say is the call with the pocket tens really that bad? It is probably read dependent but he is calling against effectively one raiser since the button is so short stacked. The level of the tournament wasn't mentioned or the amount of times week hands were shown down after a raise. It just seems hard to say that is a bad call.

Well I guess I have to add I lay down TT or JJ here absent a read.

Roman
07-13-2004, 02:40 AM
very textbook play.

sdplayerb
07-13-2004, 04:17 AM
I definitely move in there.
He had a tough decision. I think he should have thrown his hand away (unless he has seen you be really loose).
With 13x the BB, and antes, unless you know MP3 is the biggest rock ever, it is a definite move in.

Unfortunately, making the right play doesn't mean you always get to win. If so, i'd be rich /images/graemlins/smile.gif

holeplug
07-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree it probably was a bad call even though I don't think it was too terrible. I figured the short stack had Ax, probably higher than a J, and figured if snowbank had the same they where holding some of each others outs. If I knew snowbank was a 2+2er at the time I would have mucked this too. It was a really small buyin, $3, tourney so I wanted to really try and finish like top 5 so the $ would mean something to me. I don't play alot of MTT so I'm certainly a newbie when it comes to these and have much to learn.