PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'll start learning limit - hand uno

eastbay
07-12-2004, 09:05 PM
3-6 Bay 101 game. 5-6 seeing flop, not much raising, tons of calling. Play seems pretty bad, but I don't play limit so what do I know.

I open-limp KQo from MP (raise here? fold?), flop comes unraised, four handed, Qxx, two hearts (no hearts in my hand).

I bet out, am called in two places. Turn is a heart rag. I bet again and get called in both places. Uh oh?

River is another non-heart rag. I bet again and am called in both places.

Button turns over raggy two-pair, CO turns over random flush (T6 or something).

How would you play it?

eastbay

jacki
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I'd definitely open-raise here. Others may disagree.

After that, you may want to check-raise the flop, but that's debatable too. Seems fine. Get used to suckouts, they happen in limit.

Brian
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi eastbay,

Welcome to the Small Stakes forum! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I generally open-raise KQo from MP. You played it the same way I would have post-Flop.

-Brian

DonWaade
07-12-2004, 10:45 PM
What is the advantage of open-raising? The people that called (at these stakes) are going to call with one more bet to them. So now, you lose even more money on a ridiculous suck-out. It happens. Dont raise and play it the same way. Take heart becuase you have just as good of odds to make two pair as the next guy(s) and when you flop King and Queen on the flop you will win a ginormous pot and more than cover those occaisonal "bad beats." But to raise with KQo in MP is foolhardy, in all circumstances really. . .

Joe826
07-12-2004, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the advantage of open-raising? The people that But to raise with KQo in MP is foolhardy, in all circumstances really. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure there is a single good piece of advice in this mini rant. RAISE KQo because 1.) you likely have the best hand 2.) to get rid of the Ax hands many players will limp with, but not call a raise with 3.) because it's much easier to play post flop. It's foolhardy not to raise this hand.

Brian
07-12-2004, 11:01 PM
This is quite possibly one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen on these forums. Tsk tsk, you should know better with almost 200 posts and having been around for 6 months.

-Brian

serling
07-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi eastbay --

I would've raised preflop and, like you, lead the betting the rest of the way. I probably would've folded to a raise as well.

In live games, I seldom check-raise unless against someone really aggressive. Plus you run the risk of it checking through.

serling

DonWaade
07-13-2004, 12:10 AM
I actually agree with most of your points except that this is too small of stakes. If you raise (at these stakes) you still do not get rid of Axx hands that have already limped. You miight get rid of players that would have to call two cold tho....

DonWaade
07-13-2004, 04:24 AM
My fault. Did not realize he was open raising. I think I would have done the same. My bad

trillig
07-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi eastbay! Your play was fine, you're right the players are not good, flush boy should have raised you on the river...

I was 2-6 spread'n at Excalibur tonite for 5.5 hours, I got my two pair snapped off by a river flush, not mad there, that was a reasonable suckout and it's going to happen.

But: I had an OG (old guy) call to river, where he hits his lowest pair for trips to beat my TP: Aces and Queens.... not much I could do I was betting all the way.... he paid the $8 PF going rate with his 87s and sucked a 2nd 7... he left before I could snap him back, bummer.... 8)

Read my other post (fun hand) for final results... I didn't win a hand in the first 2 hours and was down a rack after that OG suckout.... My panic button is broken, so no problem....

-Bri