PDA

View Full Version : More headsup play - battle of the blinds

Tosh
07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
BB is loose, and pretty aggressive with high percentages defending his blind and stealing others.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>.

Tosh
07-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Bump, its not that dull is it?

Brian
07-12-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bump, its not that dull is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pretty much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Heads-up, out of position, versus a loose-aggressive opponent, I generally do a lot of checking and calling. Throwing in a check-raise every once in awhile is fine, though. I think you may have gotten a little over-aggressive this hand, but heads-up play is more art than science, and you'd know better than any of us whether or not it was justified.

-Brian

AceHigh
07-12-2004, 08:45 PM
I like the flop c/r, but I don't think I would cap it. Against loose/aggressives who don't know to take free cards, I like to rope-a-dope more than you, it appears. My philosophy (sp?) is to let them fire there bullets and count on my good hands holding up more than there slop.

adanthar
07-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Why bet the river? I don't see a better hand folding and there aren't too many worse hands that will call. Maybe *specifically* AK; what else?

Brian
07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi adanthar,

The River bet is probably the only non-questionable part of the hand. You haven't been in many short-handed or blind battle situations if those are the only worse hands you can see calling the River.

-Brian

AceHigh
07-12-2004, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if he checks he has to call and he thinks his opponent will mostly bet only when he is beat, but not enough that he can safely fold because of the pot size.

Example assume you lose 60% of the time and your opponent will bet 75% of the time you check. IF these assumptions are true, and there is little chance of being raised on the river or you can safely fold to a raise, you save money by betting.

EV(betting) = .4 * 1BB (win) - .6 * 1BB (lose) = -.2 BB
EV(checking) = .25 * 0BB (check/check) + .15 * 1BB (win when he bets) - .6 1BB (lose when he bets) = -.45 BB

sthief09
07-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't think there's any question that you took the best line. he seems like the type that'll play overcards like this.

Tosh
07-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Adanthar, at Party they call if they have 2 cards. /images/graemlins/grin.gif