PDA

View Full Version : 77--routine?

Zetack
07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Most of the time (but not always obviously) I'm playing pocket sevens for a set--any thoughts on this one?

okerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP2 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Routine or should I have done something different? And hypothetically, do I fold to a turn raise?

--Zetack

Brian
07-12-2004, 04:48 PM
It's routine up until the River. I hate check-calling, but your check may have induced a bluff from someone with just overcards, so I guess you have to call. On my good days, or with a read, I check-fold the River.

-Brian

tiltaholic
07-12-2004, 04:49 PM
hi-
I agree about playing 77 for a set but I like the flop and turn. I think I would swallow hard, bet the river and fold to a raise. (not sure about the fold to a raise part) Would you have bet the river if it was not an ace?

On the turn, I'd probably call a turn raise and check fold the river if the seven didn't appear. (But maybe folding to a turn raise is correct, I dunno. I think I call too many turn raises where I never seem to win...)
-t

Zetack
07-12-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi-
I agree about playing 77 for a set but I like the flop and turn. I think I would swallow hard, bet the river and fold to a raise. (not sure about the fold to a raise part) Would you have bet the river if it was not an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you now have an ace, two different boats, and a flush on board...I thought it was a tough bet to make and even if you take away the ace part of it, still a tough bet.

Rico Suave
07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Zetack:

[ QUOTE ]
Well you now have an ace, two different boats, and a flush on board

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the straight...the OESD got there too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Rico

tiltaholic
07-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I wouldn't be happy about it. In fact, in the heat of playing, I can't honestly say I wouldn't check also. Since it wasn't my money in play, this would be my thinking after the fact (and it could be off completely):

I'd have a hard time putting villian on a 2 or a 5, since he was so passive on the flop and turn. But if he turned out to have either, more power to him, he played me for 2 bets (with a 2) or 1 bet (with a 5). I note this and move on to the next hand. If he has 2 hearts, that sucks, but he was chasing a backdoor so what can you do? The thing I'm worrying about is Ax or maybe an overpair? in which case I'm betting and folding to a raise instead of check calling. I mean, he may be scared I have an ace.

Just attempting to explain my thinking...

Zetack
07-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Mp2 turned over K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif for a whole buncha nothing and my sevens are good.

I like to think my check on the river induced his bet but maybe he'd have called a river bet anyway.

--Zetack

Uppercut
07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mp2 turned over K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif for a whole buncha nothing and my sevens are good.

I like to think my check on the river induced his bet but maybe he'd have called a river bet anyway.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point. I see people call 2 pair boards with A and K high all the time at the micro limits. That is why that Ace is a real scare card for me.