PDA

View Full Version : Banal Hand, but important

burntazure
07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Before I get into this one, I just want to say thanks for all of the previous replies to my posts. Since posting here, my BB/100 has definitely gone up. Reading these posts, Sklansky's books, as well as Lee Jones' have been auspicious regarding my online play.

Now to the hand: I call it banal because the flop ostensibly missed me; however my play on this is questionable at some points. Please feel free to comment on my decisions. I did not annotate the hand due to its perceived simplicity. Okay thanks.

adios.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds.

River: (6.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.25 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qs As (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.25 BB. </font>

Sent
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Seems fine to me, you decided to show your hand though?

-Sent

burntazure
07-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Umm... I keep the "muck losing/ uncalled hands" box checked so I don't know why it says I showed. Perhaps I accidently unchecked it? I don't know. But, I usually never show anything....

chief444
07-12-2004, 03:14 PM
With position and only 3 opponents I'm fairly certain I would bet that flop. You may have the best hand and you will probably be given the opportunity to check the turn through if you so desire.

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
It's just how Bison's converter reports it. You showed nothing.

Sent
07-12-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just how Bison's converter reports it. You showed nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh ok

-Sent

easypete
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ostensibly

[/ QUOTE ]

fastidious!

dfscott
07-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I agree with Chief -- in late position checked to me, I bet that flop every time. With more opponents, I might check the turn and then raise the river if I hit. With 1 or 2, I'd probably bet the turn. With 3, it's probably borderline based on reads.

Rico Suave
07-12-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With position and only 3 opponents I'm fairly certain I would bet that flop. You may have the best hand and you will probably be given the opportunity to check the turn through if you so desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. And with that board, there is at least a small chance that you can take it down with a bet. Bet the flop.

--Rico

k000k
07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Ya, I agree with chief, you MUST bet the flop.. You raised preflop, and your the last player to act on the flop.. By NOT betting, you look weaker than weak.. Had you not raised PF, I wouldn't think twice about the checkthru, but since you did, I'm about 99% certain you're on overcards and totally missed the flop, and I'll bet into you with any rag on the turn just to make you sweat.. A big pocket pair would certainly bet out that flop. The other 1% certainty goes to 99.. Other monsters I'm not afraid of are 95 or 55 since (hopefully) you wouldn't raise PF..

All I can say FOR your flop action is that you have a slim slim chance of foiling a checkraiser on your right with a monster like 55/95/A9/99/etc. who's expecting a PF raiser to bet out the flop.

The flop check reeks of swing-and-a-miss, and I'm more scared of the other players who got trapped into calling 2 bets one-at-a-time PF with something they may not have played for 2 bets cold, like Ax (where x=5 or 9) - partypoker's most commonly misplayed hand, I could see 55/99/K9s limping in here before your raise, etc..

Greg J
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
This is just a very minor wrinkle in Bison's hand converter. In paradise, where it tells you the hands of everyone in a showdown, even if they muck, so it gives the hands of eveyone in the showdown -- which is useful (and often ammusing) information.

bisonbison
07-12-2004, 10:33 PM
If the converter knows a hand, it will post it. It always knows the hero's hand, so if someone feels like including the results in a hand without a showdown...

afk
07-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Add another to the 'bet the flop column'. Since you didn't bet the flop, I think your turn bet was very appropriate - though I probably would have bet both the flop and turn if there's a good chance I can take the pot.