PDA

View Full Version : How far do you take this hand with no cap on the River??

MagicRat
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB

With no cap here do you keep raising, and if so, how many bets would you take it?? Or am I beat when he re-raises me on the River? Was the hand played correctly otherwise?? Thanks!

tech
07-12-2004, 11:58 AM
I would take this pretty darn far. It is tough to give somebody credit for a straight flush. The reraise on the river certainly doesn't mean that.

J.R.
07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
3-bet the flop.

I'd cap the river here every time. If there was no cap, I's probably 5-bet it at least, although I'd also have some kinda read on who my opponent was (little old lady, crazy gambler, drunk fool, TAG, etc).

What weighs agaisnt this is that K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif would have 3-bet the turn, and the flop could be J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9h (unlikely to be 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif), but that is just one hand and it feels pretty weak-tight to fear that one hand after just a river re-raise.

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
This all depends on your opponent's level of retardedness. Getting 5-bet on the river with the 2nd nuts by a non-retarded opponent isn't fun.

MagicRat
07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting 5-bet on the river with the 2nd nuts by a non-retarded opponent isn't fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's exactly what would have happened as Villain turned over J-9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the rivered straight flush!

I agree I was weak on the flop and should have re-raised although between the flopped flush and OESD draws I don't think Villain was ever going away... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ray Zee
07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
when he checked raised you on the end you should have just called unless he was a complete maniac. no decent player wouldnt put you on or near the nuts. since you reraised (three bet) you would of course stop at the 4th bet whether there was a cap or not and not like your hand at all.

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when he checked raised you on the end you should have just called unless he was a complete maniac. no decent player wouldnt put you on or near the nuts. since you reraised (three bet) you would of course stop at the 4th bet whether there was a cap or not and not like your hand at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this post was like finding out the Tooth Fairy wasn't real.

You're wrong, Ray--this really is an easy 3-bet against virtually all small stakes players, with a cap or without.

If it's live without a cap you can definitely make a case for not 5-betting when your opponent 4-bets, but to not 3-bet here is to give the typical small stakes play way too much credit way too soon.

Sadat X
07-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I would 3-bet the flop and cap the river without blinking an eye...my guess is UTG+2 held J9h?

Edit: changed T9h to J9h

MAxx
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
i am with bdk3clash on this one. most low limit players are bad enough, where you cannont give them credit for a rivered straight flush checkraise.

They won't be giving you credit to your strong hand w/ nut draw the whole way, and the most common senario would be when their lesser flush hits that they would checkraise you. I think the best answer for this situation is that you should reraise the river everytime for value, and only once in a blue moon will anyone flip up the straight flush. You will miss too many bets if you just call the river check-raise.

In an unlimited cap, I would probably raise 5 or 6 times before calling.

jt1
07-12-2004, 04:32 PM
I figured you just called UTG2 check raise in order to raise the turn no matter what hit.

As for what Ray Zee said, I am also very surprised. If I had KJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif? and had a tight/aggressive or tight/weak read on my opponent, I would have check raised the flop, perhaps led on the turn and at least thought about going for the check raise on the river. And I don't consider myself a complete maniac.

AceHigh
07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
I think you are wrong also Ray. This is Party 1/2, and flush draws love to check/raise the river. You opponent almost certainly has a flush, it's not that likely he has the straight flush.

Richard Berg
07-13-2004, 12:32 AM
3-bet the flop. Go 4 bets on the river but no more. Calling after 2 is not correct at Party.

Ralph Wiggum
07-13-2004, 12:35 AM
9 bets at least against most. 7, if I respected the player.

I also 3-bet the flop.

Ralph Wiggum
07-13-2004, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is Party 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, wrong forum man. Go post in Micro-Limit.

Clarkmeister
07-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Damn. Can we pretend you never wrote this?