PDA

View Full Version : Preflop KQo behind a maniac

Bill Smith
07-12-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't have the HH, but this is a pretty straight-forward situation.

Table (2/4 Party) is pretty passive and below average:

- 5-6 people will typically limp, but a raise often got respect and would occasionally knock out someone who limped ahead of the raise.

- Sitting to my right is an absolute maniac who was an easy preflop read: A raise usually indicated connectors or a suited hand, while a limp would mean a high card. I had not yet seen him pull a monster, so I don't know how he played a big PP or slick.

- The table seems to be aware that he is a maniac and is calling him down with any reasonable hand.

UTG, the maniac raises. I'm UTG+1 holding KQo. Your play?

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A raise usually indicated connectors or a suited hand, while a limp would mean a high card.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this read is accurate (ie he is raising wiht K5s or 56o) then this is an incredibly easy 3-bet with what is likely the best hand.

MarkD
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I fold. You are in too early of a position here.

If you think the chances of isolated the maniac here (ie. the rest of the table folds behind you) are very near 1005 then I would 3-bet but from UTG+1 I think this is impossible to determine online so I just muck it.

In a later position I would 3-bet.

J.R.
07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
but a raise often got respect and would occasionally knock out someone who limped ahead of the raise.

If people are really limp-folding, than a 3-bet has a high chance of limiting this field to you and the maniac. But I really doubt that is the case in a loose, passive 2-4 game. I'd typically fold but if your opponent's are really as weak-tight as you describe a 3-bet is the play. Either way, I don't really fancy calling in this spot.

Bill Smith
07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but a raise often got respect and would occasionally knock out someone who limped ahead of the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me qualify this statement.

If there were 2-3 limpers before a raise PF, I would say 50-70% of the time one would muck when it came back around. I'm not saying this was common, but more common than a typical LP game. Furthermore, a raise from anyone other than the maniac and a LAG opponent (I believe he was in MP1 or MP2 in this hand) was getting respect for the most part.

It may also be noteworthy that the maniac started with a large bankroll and was down 40-50 BB at this point, so even the relatively bad players realized a feeding frenzy was on.

Bill Smith
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
So, for the record, I 3-bet the KQo just because I felt a bit saucy. I think I agree now that this was probably too loose given my position, but in this case it had the desired effect. It folded all the way back to the maniac, who capped and I called.

The board was something like: A-K-2, 9, 9 (all suits)

He bet out every street and I called it down (we could have a full discussion on whether this was a good plan or not). He flips over T3s and MHIG.

I'm really proud of my read, but I'm not entirely happy about my play.

MarkD
07-12-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He bet out every street and I called it down (we could have a full discussion on whether this was a good plan or not).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we wouldn't. This is by far the optimal way to play this hand post-flop. Do not give this man a chance to stop betting, or even worse, fold his hand.

Good pre-flop result, but I still think it was the wrong spot. Well played post-flop.

adanthar
07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, for the record, I 3-bet the KQo just because I felt a bit saucy. I think I agree now that this was probably too loose given my position, but in this case it had the desired effect. It folded all the way back to the maniac, who capped and I called.

The board was something like: A-K-2, 9, 9 (all suits)

He bet out every street and I called it down (we could have a full discussion on whether this was a good plan or not). He flips over T3s and MHIG.

I'm really proud of my read, but I'm not entirely happy about my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played it right, except that I might put a raise in on the flop or river and call the expected 3 bet.

Also, given that table description, I'd isolate with weaker hands than KQo.

Bill Smith
07-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks!

MoreWineII
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
I think you played it fab-o. Like adanthar said, I might have even popped a raise in there somewhere.