PDA

View Full Version : Kicking myself for this one. - JJ

GoblinMason (Craig)
07-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I figured both other players got a piece of the flop (probably the A) and I planned to raise on the turn. Yea, I probably could've got the guy that beat me to fold on the flop but I didn't put them on draws.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, Button raises, SB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (21 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 24 BB, between Button, Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (24 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
MP2 shows Qh Kh (straight, ace high).
Button shows Ks 9s (one pair, nines).
Outcome: MP2 wins 24 BB. </font>

Thanks for the help.

-Craig

chief444
07-12-2004, 10:38 AM
AJx board with two of a suit is not a good one to slowplay (especially when you don't hold one of the other A's). Playing this fast will normally get all the action you can handle.

GoblinMason (Craig)
07-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Normally, I would agree, but didn't the both opponents scream having an A or other part of the board where they're in bad shape? That's why I thought it was ok to slowplay against only 2 opponents. Thoughts?

EnderFFX
07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally, I would agree, but didn't the both opponents scream having an A or other part of the board where they're in bad shape? That's why I thought it was ok to slowplay against only 2 opponents. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the two flush on board you need to bet to charge them the most for their draws, if you pair up on the turn maybe then you can slow down to let them catch their flushes to beat them.

To me the basic premise at micro limits is this - if you think you got the best, bet it out.

chief444
07-12-2004, 10:55 AM
What if it was checked to the button and he checked the turn through with his flush draw? That would have been a huge mistake. Plus if you 3-bet the flop it probably would have been capped.

lu_hawk
07-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Bet the flop, bet the turn. When the button raises you on the turn I would 3-bet and then check-call the river after he caps. Slowplaying is usually wrong and is especially wrong now because a) there are straight and flush draws on the board and you need to make them pay to draw out on you, b) with the A on the board, the MP2 is probably going to give you action. Also, if you bet the flop MP2 may have raised with a big ace and driven out the button.

You're going to be costing yourself money by slowplaying your big hands, especially on a draw-rich board.

Surfbullet
07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree with the sentiments of the other replies, but wanted to mention one thing.

Ed Miller has a great post called "charging the flush draws" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=459301&amp;fpart= 1&amp;PHPSESSID=) which debunks the myth that you have to bet like crazy to "charge" the flush draws.(scroll down a bit his is about 1 page down).

In fact, the flush draws make money off of every bet that goes in - but so do you... you are raising because you have the best hand and stand to make more money the times the flush draws don't get there - they are coming along whether you bet or not, and you both profit off of the lesser hands that are dragged along the way.

My 2c.

Dan

EDIT: grammar

Zetack
07-12-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller has a great post called "charging the flush draws" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=459301&amp;fpart= 1&amp;PHPSESSID=) which debunks the myth that you have to bet like crazy to "charge" the flush draws.(scroll down a bit his is about 1 page down).

In fact, the flush draws make money off of every bet that goes in - but so do you...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe its just a quible about terminology, but although I understand where Ed's coming from, I don't mind the term "charging" the flush draws. Sure, the real reason you're bettins is because you have the bets hand. But the flush draw is only gonna make it one third of the time, so I reckon you are charging him for the privilege of drawing out on you. Not to mention that not only is a set mostl likely the best hand now, it has ten outs to whomp a flush with on the turn. He may be making money from the bets going into the pot but the set is making more and making money from the flush draw's bets too. So, why not say you're charging him--even if he likes being charged?

--Zetack