PDA

View Full Version : Party vs Stars

gcDanno
07-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I hear all the time that Stars has this reputation of the losing hand winning (riverStars?), and it sure seems that way to me. (Lost last night with KK vs QQ and then AA vs 77 in $10 rebuy, but this is not a bad beat email).

I've had this situation present itself over and over on Stars. I had 3 all-ins preflop last night and lost all 3. I folded 77 to a decent raise preflop, and would have rivered a 7 if I had stayed. Is this a Stars pheonemenon? Or is it just poker? For those of you who play on Party, do you have the same complaints?

The night before, I was playing a $50 buyin game, and was rivered in my last 3 all-ins. It just seems you have to have the weaker hand to win on Stars.

I'm considering cashing out of Stars and playing tourneys on Party. I'm soooo frustrated.

MLG
07-12-2004, 10:38 AM
so it is a bad beat post.

Jason Strasser
07-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I hope this is a frustrated joke.

Desdia72
07-12-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear all the time that Stars has this reputation of the losing hand winning (riverStars?), and it sure seems that way to me. (Lost last night with KK vs QQ and then AA vs 77 in $10 rebuy, but this is not a bad beat email).

I've had this situation present itself over and over on Stars. I had 3 all-ins preflop last night and lost all 3. I folded 77 to a decent raise preflop, and would have rivered a 7 if I had stayed. Is this a Stars pheonemenon? Or is it just poker? For those of you who play on Party, do you have the same complaints?

The night before, I was playing a $50 buyin game, and was rivered in my last 3 all-ins. It just seems you have to have the weaker hand to win on Stars.

I'm considering cashing out of Stars and playing tourneys on Party. I'm soooo frustrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

bruh, i'm a Stars player too and it's happened to me many, many times. i play mostly $5 and $6 SNGs and some MTTs. i can recall several hands where i got rivered on the MISSISSIPPI. Q Q against 6 5o where the player caught his str8 card on the river (he called my reraise of another player that was already all-in preflop), A J against J 10 where the player caught a 10 on the river for two pair (he called a raise preflop and a checkraise of the turn with the worse hand), A A against 10 10 (player was dealt a 8 to Queen str8 on the river), A J all-in against 5 6o (chipleader caught a 5 on the river), trip Kings against 3 6 suited (guy called a my preflop raise behind about three other callers and caught a flush on the river), A K (two pair on the flop) against 6 6 where the player caught trips on the river, etc. these are just a few. i've had numerous finishes on the bubble of ITM in SNGs where these scenarios happened. you're definitely not alone but it does'nt matter.
one thing i've learned is no matter how many times you lose on the river to a inferior hand, nobody's gonna care except you. all you likely to get from others is, "Suck it up, it's poker", "All you can do is get your money in with the best hand", or my personal favorite, "Be thankful for these types of plays, because you're win in the long run".

gcDanno
07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Not a joke. Party players please respond. Is there the same idea on Party that the worst hand wins more often?

I don't think my cat can take another kick across the room. (j/k, don't even have a cat, and it's a good thing I don't).

gc

Chief911
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
gc,

I'm still surprised that this is a serious questions, but I guess I'll give a serious answer.

No.

Like any other poker, there are bad beats. Hell, I took two bad beats this weekend that booted me outta 50+5's both times. It happens.

But I would not say that there is the perception that the worst hand wins often.

That said, I think the tourney competition at Party is softer than stars. How about that?

Nick

doubledown998
07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I think the blind structure + starting chips is a little better for tourneys at Stars, compared to Party.

gcDanno
07-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Nick,

Thanks for your reply. OK, I'll stop with this rave, and try to suck it up.

gc

schwza
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
the biggest thing is that when your KK holds up and beats QQ (or whatever) you instantly forget about it. also, QQ beats KK about 19%, so it shouldn't be amazing shock when it happens.

as for the two sites, party certainly has a reputation for being soft in general, but i agree with the earlier poster that the blind structure is better on stars. in stars the stacks are big enough relative to the blinds that you're not forced to get all-in before the flop early in the tournament. also, i think the stars $10 rebuy has one of the best structures in terms of fee: it's 10+1, but if you insta-rebuy and add-on, it's 30+1, and with a few rebuys you can be playing 60+1. if you're playing the lower buy-in, stars runs 5+0.50 while party has 5+1.

fnurt
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
To answer your question seriously, players on Party also think they take far too many bad beats, and the same is probably true on every other online site, and in every B&M cardroom around the world. How many players do you know who don't feel like they absorb more than their fair share of bad beats? Take two Mike Caro affirmations and call me in the morning.

Last night in the Stars rebuy I went all-in with QQ against 99 and a short-stacked A7o. What made the situation particularly cute is that I somehow managed to lose to BOTH hands. I just laughed and went to bed. In a tournament of this size, literally hundreds of people are going to bed with a bad beat story. You'll never find a site where it's any different.

Jason Strasser
07-12-2004, 11:43 AM
$200 SNG.

Dealt to strassa2: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Blinds 50/100 I have 1500. I raise to 300 button calls.

Flop KJ5 all diamonds. I push, he calls.

Turn: J, river 2.

JJ for quads takes it down.

Wawawawawa. Open up the next table lets play some poker. They are so normal now that I don't even blink. You can't bad beat be to any degree now that I'll spend more than 2 seconds thinking "wow", unless we are talking about something towards the end of a multi.

The easy answer to your question is no. Bad beats are everywhere. The cards are random. This stuff happens, sometimes in bunches. You've put horrible beats on other people as well. I put them on ZeeJustin all the time!

schwza
07-12-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$200 SNG.

Dealt to strassa2: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

flopped the ol' set + 4-flush? sweet!

soxfan70
07-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't think it's the site, I think it's the nature ofthe game. I have the very same experiences on UB constantly. All-in preflop with KK vs JJ; AKs vs. AQo; AJs vs. K7o, etc. etc. etc. And these are all in tourney's with $100 + buy-ins just from this week-end.

Jason Strasser
07-12-2004, 11:56 AM
WHOOPS

Told you, ITS ALL RIGGED!

soxfan70
07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$200 SNG.

Dealt to strassa2: K K

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW someone better call the poker police!! That makes 2 Kings of diamonds in the same hand!! Two K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif HAS to beat quad Jacks, no?

nolanfan34
07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a joke. Party players please respond. Is there the same idea on Party that the worst hand wins more often?

I don't think my cat can take another kick across the room. (j/k, don't even have a cat, and it's a good thing I don't).

gc

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not Party or Stars. Paradise has the worst beats. At least according to some of the people who have been at my tables.

Cracks me up, the site that deals the worst beats just happens to be the one you're playing at that moment. Drives me nuts too, but I'm learning to deal with it.

coolhandtom
07-12-2004, 02:48 PM
i agree w/ the rest, sh_t happens everywhere.. but i think party is softer, if you practice patience and dont risk all your chips too often, you can do well. i played heavily this weekend and suffered little bad beats, and finished ITM more often than not.

reading posts from this site has helped my game unmeasurably.. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

doubledown998
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM
bad beats don't just happen on stars...KK loses elsewhere too.

During a home tourney, every time KK showed up (4 times), it was beaten. Three of the four were by QQ.

Must be something shady going on for that to happen

tripdad
07-12-2004, 06:37 PM
the worst bad beats come not on Party....not on Stars, but rather in my home game. i consistently get my money in as the preflop favorite, and i get sucked out on more than anyone else there. what's more, i very rarely win with a suckout against my opponents. i love it!(because i keep track of results, i know i have out-earned every other player there 3 times over)

cheers!

slogger
07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
AA will lose to 77 20% of the time and every time it will sting. The other 4 times, you will experience a brief sense of relief that your hand held up and 2 hours later after your fifth overpair of the tourney gets cracked for the first time by an underpair, you will have forgotten the all of AA vs. 77 wins.

FWIW, KK will lose QQ almost as often.

SlowStroke
07-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Here's what works for me -

Start keeping track (on paper) of how many times you get your money in with the best hand (and the win-loss results).

And track how many times you get your money in with the worst hand (sometimes it happens) and the win-loss results.

I'll bet what you find is that the best hand holds up just about as often as it is suppose to on both sites.

If I have a bad luck run, but keep getting my money in good - these notes help ease my mind.

Of course, you might discover that you are not getting it in with the best of it as often as you should. Which means you need to work on your game. That might be the most important reason for keeping track.

ismisus
07-12-2004, 07:11 PM
the more loose people play, the more bad beats will happen. Since Party is considered to be more loose than STARS, you will get more bad beats on Party. However thats not a bad thing, since you get payed off more on Party on 'good' beats.

edited /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BrettK
07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since Party is considered to be more loose than Party, you will get more bad beats on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party has gotten so loose that it's even looser than itself?

Brett

Stoneii
07-12-2004, 07:23 PM
wow - had no idea it had gotten so loose

dogmeat
07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
It's poker. I've played on every large site and players at every one bitch abut it in the chat box. EVERY SITE. Look at it this way: You play good cards only, and have a 50% chance of winning against these players after the flop:

player 2) 10%
Player 3) 15%
Player 4) 25%

You have a big edge, but one of those players is going to beat you half the time - and that means that 10-1 shot is beating you, the 7-1 shot is beating you and the 4-1 shot is beating you - all to the tune of half of all pots! You win big in the long run, but you will see those longshots chipping away at you.

If you flip a coin, you win half the time - but flip it 10 times and you might lose 8 of the next ten........

When it happens you need to keep poker playing in the proper perspective *** If you are a winning player, you will win in the long run which requires patience.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bigwig
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
'Bad beat' seems to be an overused term. The other day, when my net connection was down, I was watching the golf coverage on CBS while dealing out some hold em hands. I dealt the cards face up, and then picked the better hand, and then dealt the five community cards up.

Now, realize I could always pick the best hand. So, I often had Q4 vs Q2, TT vs 74, etc. Still, I didn't win that often. I kept track for the hell of it. Dealt out 87 hands. Anyone care to guess my winning percentage?

The results?

<font color="white"> </font> 47 wins, 40 losses. Not too good, eh? In my opinion, bad beat is a term used way too often. <font color="white"> </font>

coolhandtom
07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
i got a bad beat for ya.
roommate playin PP 3/6 limit ring game.

has JJ in hole. flop hits 10 J x
all fold cept for roommate and fish.
rm and fish raise back and forth back and forth.
turn is a dud. raise back and forth. rm has nuts, no idea what fish is thinking even with trip 10s. obvious rookie thinking he has it made or something.
river is a f*cking 10. !!!!

needless to say poor roommate loses to quad 10s to his boat.

now that SUCKS. PP fish....
/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BeerNutts
07-12-2004, 08:48 PM
was a good firend of mine and big poker player is complaing about Party Poker and has taken his money out and is thinking of going to Stars.

I had to forward him this email.

FWIW, I tell him he's nuts, it's just poker, and it happens everywhere.

Dentist
07-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Has anyone here EVER won (or placed top 3-4) in a big multi WITHOUT.. and I mean WITHOUT laying a pretty bad beat on someone in a key pot at a really good time??

I can't think of one multi story I've read or from my own experience where at one point you didn't have to pull out a big bad beat to propell you to the top.

On the other hand.. when I've placed I also don't GET bad beated myself too badly.

It is so amazing how much luck goes into winning a multi... not so much on one hand but collectively.

1) you need some good cards
2) you need to get action on said cards without getting bad-beated.
3) you need some good flops
4) you need to avoid "bad situations" (i.e. you have KK pre-flop and run into aces)

I mean.. damn... you can play a tournament FLAWLESSLY and I mean BEAUTIFULLY.. and still not win.

I always wonder in any tourney how many players are eliminated to "legitimate beat" vs. a "bad beat"....

I need to start keeping track myself of how I go out...
As many "bad beats" as I can think of... I can also think of plenty of "legit beats".