PDA

View Full Version : Is a stop-and-go ever useful? (Party 2/4)

nepenthe
07-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Loose, fairly aggressive game. I'm in the SB with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif and raise 3 other limpers. BB (unknown) calls, everyone else calls then Button (loose-ag) suddenly 3-bets. In vain hopes of driving out a couple other limpers I cap. Everyone calls including the BB /images/graemlins/tongue.gif 5 to the flop.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out. BB calls, one UTG limper drops, the rest call. Button just calls. I hope he's not slowplaying. In fact according to my notes I don't think he's capable of slowplaying a flopped set. 4 to the turn.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out. BB calls, MP player (notes say: pretty passive, seems straightforward) now raises. Button calls two cold. I squarely place MP on the 9. I think and call. BB calls.

River: Some blank rag.

I bet out. BB calls, MP raises, Button folds, I reraise, BB folds, MP calls.

The main question I have is the turn call, and then pulling a stop-and-go on the river in the hopes of being raised again. With BB and Button in the pot and seemingly committed to a calldown, I'm wondering if this was a better decision than 3-betting the turn and likely driving them out. Also, how about betting out on the river instead of going for a checkraise?

Nick709
07-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Although I see the Stop n Go as a great play here I have a feeling you could have kept raising and still made the same # of bets: I don't see a 9 laying down here and well the others probably won't fold

Talex
07-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Well, I can't say I like the turn call much at all. MP and the Button have hooked themselves into the pot, they aren't folding for another bet here, and so I can only see you losing the BB. If the button caps then maybe you lose the button, but he's already called two cold here so he obviously wants to see the river. I expect him to call another two here. If it's indeed capped and called I think you get a nice checkraise on the end and you're making more dough.

As for betting the river, I can see an argument for why given the way the hand played out. Button looks like a flush draw to me and isn't calling if he hasn't hit the flush... which he hasn't. BB however could be on a lot of things since he's been sort of strung along for the hand. I think offering him a bet to call and then letting MP raise it brings BB in for two. It didn't, but I can see that as the reason for betting out.

-Tim

Guido
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
With 2 players committed to go to the river I'm 3-betting this and I wouldn't concern much about the rest. If they call they call and if they fold they fold. It's more likely they call on the turn than on the river and you can't expect a raise of sure on the river anyway. Get your money now! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guido

StellarWind
07-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Reraise the turn. Flush draws, OESDs, and AQ will pay for the river card but they will not payoff on the river if they miss. Make your money while you can.

HUSKER'66
07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm with others on this one. I would 3 bet the turn everytime here. With the action you received on the flop (no raises), there's only one hand in the deck that can beat you (9/9). The pots big enough, your not going to lose any draws, and your practically got a mortal lock on the nuts.Get the money while the "gettin's" good.

Husker