PDA

View Full Version : A live hand where I raise pre-flop with 65s

JSD
07-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Lucky Chances $1-$1-$2, $4 to go ($100 buy-in)

The table is playing tight and I've decided to open up my normally tight play a little. I'm ($200ish) dealt 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in EP and open for $16. I'm called by the CO (has me covered), who happens to be villian du jour from my other post. Headup to the flop with $36 in the pot.

The flop is T66r. Nice. I know that villian thinks that this flop completely missed me. I make a weak looking bet of $15, trying to represent overcards with no pair. He min-raises to $30. I ponder a bit and flat call.

The turn is a K. I check, he bets $30 again and I check-raise to $100.

How'd I do?

AJo Go All In
07-11-2004, 11:58 PM
eh. if you must raise with this hand, wait til you have position. that said, don't raise with this hand. stacks aren't too deep and i doubt the players are really as observant as you think, but i could be wrong.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-12-2004, 12:08 AM
I would do a slightly smaller c/r, then lead the river with a value bet. Your c/r is begging to not get called and there's not many hands that will call you with that you can beat.

I could be wrong of course...

BlueBear
07-12-2004, 03:17 AM
i agree it's good to occasionally mix up your game but i think that this one is a good oppurtunity. There is value in the deception here and you are receiving excellent implied odds to hit your hand (due to the added deception AND the fact that both of you have larger than average stacks)

K is a blank as far as I'm concerned and i wouldn't be too scared about it. I think a smaller check-raise is in order to induce a call from a weaker hand.

ThePopinjay
07-12-2004, 07:09 AM
I'd raise the flop up to ~60 or so, hopefully again make it look like I'm trying to get him to fold. If he pops it again, just push.

cornell2005
07-12-2004, 10:07 AM
good. i bet a bit more on the flop, like maybe 20 or so, as 15 looks a bit too suspicious. otherwise, nice thinking. a common mistake i think is to bet out the turn, which is bad. good flat call on the flop also, a raise is horrible. There are several reasons, but one of the most important is you want to let a raise steal bluff catch up a bit on the turn.

JSD
07-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Villian looked shocked when I check-raised the turn. He sat and thought for a while before mucking. I think he had AT, but I suppose something like JT or T9 could have been likely as well. He liked to call pre-flop raises.

I agree with the posters who say I check-raised too much on the turn. Unfortunately, if he did have something like AT, that King is awfully scary to him. It would have been nice if the turn had been a deuce. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Given that it was a King, maybe it would have been better to flat call the turn and then fire out a callable sized bet on the river. Or maybe just min-check-raise the turn.

One quick comment about my PFR with 65s. I obviously got a nearly perfect flop, but my image in this game was such that I can bluff at any flop with an Ace or King and take it down most of the time. Plus, if the flop comes small like it did, nobody expects it to have hit me and I can get paid off.

Cosimo
07-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I think the amount you bet on the flop depends on the context of the game. Is a less-than-half-pot $15 acceptable, or would a slightly-more-than-half $20 be better?

schwza
07-12-2004, 12:00 PM
i'm surprised people are saying that the turn c/r was too big. villain will be faced with a $70 raise to call and a pot of $226 (including the c/r). not exactly a monstrous overbet.

cornell2005
07-12-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm surprised people are saying that the turn c/r was too big. villain will be faced with a $70 raise to call and a pot of $226 (including the c/r). not exactly a monstrous overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, its not too big. anything less is probably bad

Chris Daddy Cool
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Don't you think its a bit monsterous if the villian doesn't have a 5 himself? Or even a K for that matter?

If he folds, its blah. If he does a smaller checkraise and villian calls, he's almost surely going to pay off a decent river bet as well. Yes? No?