PDA

View Full Version : Pushing pre-flop w/ 5s headsup

Vermicious Knid
07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
I played in a $50+15 rebuy tourney at the Trop in AC this weekend. We get to heads up with blinds of 15k/30k and 3k antes. My opponent has around $350k and I have around $200k. I have been playing at the same table as my opponent for the last few hours. He is an atrocious loose-passive player who survived by calling several all-ins and catching miracle cards to knock out most of the top players. Once we got heads up he became more aggressive. He raised pre-flop almost every chance he had.

I get dealt pocket 5s in the big blind. He raises to $80k. My read was that there was no hand that he would have raised with that he would fold to an all-in re-raise (he would have to call $120k more). With almost no fold equity I didn't really want to risk everything on a coin toss (I think he would have put me all-in if he had a pair), so I folded. I figured I was a much better player and would have better chances (perhaps not too many with the blinds so big).

Should I have:

a. Pushed all-in
b. folded
c. called, then pushed with most any flop

Any suggestions/analysis would be appreciated.

jwvdcw
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
If you are indeed a much better player and theres no way he folds in your opinion, then you easily made the right call. However, your read on the two items I just listed might not be as strong as you think always.

whoknewaceace
07-12-2004, 12:19 AM
was this tourny this past sat the 10th of july i played in the same table came in 24 busted out with a k ran in to aa well i hope u won the tourny gl in the future

SossMan
07-12-2004, 12:21 AM
You have to make a stand at some point...you only have 6.5x. You will have to make a move in the next 5 hands or so. A pair is as good as any. With the blinds so high, you have to take your chances, since your skill will mean very little, especially if the player is bad because he calls to much, not because he folds to much.

Vermicious Knid
07-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Yes, this past Saturday (July 10). I finished 2nd. After folding the 55, I got JJ a few hands later and doubled up. That swung the chip lead in my favor. A couple of hands later I raised his big blind with A8. He called. The flop was 862 rainbow. I went all-in. He called with J10o. The turn was a 10. That made me a very short stack. I went in the next hand with J7. He called with Kx. I flopped a jack, but the river was a K.