PDA

View Full Version : Tough situation in Stars $200+15

shaniac
07-11-2004, 06:13 PM
This hand takes place after the break during the 75/150 level.

I limp UTG with AdQs. I considered raising, but decided a limp would be a decent way to proceed.

Folded to the button, who smooth called and both the blinds came in.

My stack is around 5K. There's 600 in the pot.

Flop comes down a veritable beauty--As 4s Xs--giving me top pair, second kicker and the second-nut flush draw. Blinds both check, I bet half the pot, 300. Button goes allin for 3K more or so, putting about half my stack on the line.

What do you think is the play here?

Interesting results to follow.

Shane

augie00
07-11-2004, 07:29 PM
You can't call. You could be up against a set, a baby flush, or the worst, AxKs. Unless you have an incredible read to suggest otherwise, folding is the play here.

Chief911
07-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Button's playing 2s3s, you call, he spikes a 5s for the straight flush. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SossMan
07-12-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but decided a limp would be a decent way to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what paralell universe you're playing in, but I think a raise is mandatory.

You don't mention your stack size, and that would help. I'm leaning towards folding here, since you have zero information on their hand, and they are totally overbetting the pot.
My gut says that these overbets are nut draws more often than not, so I would think that you are up against the Ks, but my read wouldn't be sure enough to warrant calling. You could easily be up against a set/two pair that doesn't want to see a spade on the turn.

You got zero info by limping preflop.

scottjf8
07-12-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but decided a limp would be a decent way to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what paralell universe you're playing in, but I think a raise is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - especially being UTG, have to expect a raise later with someone with even 10Ko - get your money in and make 10Ko fold and isolate yourself...

Chief911
07-12-2004, 02:57 PM
I have ADHD. Results plz. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

chet
07-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I think he's on 2 pair As and 4s.

FWIW, I think Cloutier's book recommends limping with AQ UTG. I haven't read the book, but others have disagreed with that call too.

schwza
07-12-2004, 03:34 PM
i'm surprised everybody's saying to fold. i would call it. the only way you don't have the best hand or the best draw is if he holds precisely k /images/graemlins/spade.gif x /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and there's a chance he's bluff raising with nothing. he could have a hand like a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif that he doesn't want to see a turn with. could be bluffing the naked k /images/graemlins/spade.gif. you've got a pretty big hand - i'd go to the felt. and you cover him by a chunk so you're still alive if he wins.

i also would raise pre-flop.

Toro
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Your preflop limp has created an impossible situation for yourself. I think it was Doyle who said "never go broke in an unraised pot". The reason for this is obvious. It's impossible for you to put your opponent on a hand. I too think you have to fold.

MLG
07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
I hate your bet on the flop here. If you want to bet...then bet, make it pot sized. Honestly though, I say check along. Hopefully the button bets, if he does and one of the blinds calls then you can make a healthy raise. If he bets and the blinds fold then I call. If a spade hits on the turn I check-raise, if it doesn't I check call again (although many times the action here will go check check). Then you can make a value bet on the river. If he checks along behind you on the flop no big deal, bet the turn. You shouldn't be afraid of giving free cards here with your draw. I think to many players a check-call here would look scarier than a bet. This is a great example of a hand that really doesn't want to be reraised, but is very powerful at the moment. By checking the flop you will get more action from worse hands when you bet the turn, as everybody will be shocked by the strength of your hand (especially since you limped preflop).

Roman
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
if he loses, he still has a good enough stack to continue without being desperate (15x BB). For that reason, I call expecting to see baby 2p => naked k => small ace.

shaniac
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I called. He had 44. Turn was a spade, river the case 4. I lost about 60% of my stack on that hand which is why it was a bad call.

I'll post some commentary later--this was the first of many major chip swings in the event that I endured, and I'll try and put up a tourney report when I am less tired.

Shane