PDA

View Full Version : odds rounding

eyekast
07-11-2004, 04:03 PM
ok i was just wondering what everyone thinks. say you have 10.9 to 1 odds against making your hand. does anyone actually do pot odds comparison using 10.9 or would you just round up to 11 for simplicity? me personally am not capable of multiplying a decimal and comparing to pot odds in the middle of a hand but if you always round up what's the problem? i wouldn't call a bet if it was that close to the pot odds unless i knew for a fact the other callers were bluffing.

another question is say your odds of hitting your out on the turn are 4.22 to 1 and the odds of hitting the out on the river are 4.11 to 1. obviously you have a ''little better chance on the river do to one less unseen card but is .11 really going to make you call a bet?

''i feel'' that if you round up you will always be in an advantagous position against the pot odds or implied odds.

so what are your opinions?

Eclypse
07-12-2004, 09:01 AM
In my opinion, it is better to go to at least one decimal place (personally, I go with 2). The reason is that rounding off can lead to mistakes such as this:

If you have 5 outs to hit on the turn and the pot is giving you 8-to-1, you are making a mistake if you call (which you would if you rounded off). The true odds are 8.4-to-1 which is a clear fold.

Now, this is not an enormous error by itself since you are giving up only .043 in negative EV on the play, and you could make arguments with implied odds, etc., but if you make similar mistakes like this consistently, it will add up over time.

eyekast
07-12-2004, 10:28 AM
thanks for the reply

i would round ALWAYS UP so 8.4 to 1 would become 9 to 1 so i would still fold on 8 to 1 pot odds. wouldn't this mean i would fold more often? also in your opinion 'using 8.4 to 1 odds' would you still call a bet with just a .4 advantage? i guess this would of course depend of what type of game your in ex. in a loose game with a couple of maniacs where the implied odds are always super high. in a game like this a .4 usually would turn into a huge advantage when the big bets start rolling in after the turn. i don't know, i mean i win alot and 'as stupid as this may be i don't use poker tracker' but the only problem i can see in this is when you get up into 15+ outs you can't just call everything 2 to 1 odds or can you?

instead of using poker tracker i just copy and paste hands that i feel i screwed up on or hands that i won 'to make sure it was skill that won and not luck'