PDA

View Full Version : HeadsUp Help

josh1122
07-11-2004, 03:01 PM
I need some general advice on headsup play. I play in the $10 or $5 party sngs and finish in the money quite a bit, but the majority of my places are 2 and 3. When it gets down to headsup, no matter if I have a huge chip lead or am trailing, i'd say i lose about 90% of the time. My play is solid and tight in the opening rounds, and aggressive enough to steal blinds in the later rounds. But when I get down to headsup I really have no strategy.(tight or aggressive). Any general tips and hints would be much appreciated.

fnord_too
07-11-2004, 03:03 PM
be very aggressive, especially with the chip lead.

HajiShirazu
07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
In these things at the end, if you just raise all-in every time you have queen high or better, any pair, or any suited connector, you would be playing pretty close to optimally. The blinds are so big that there really is no post-flop skill.

josh1122
07-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Just as I was reading these posts, i got sucked out on headsup with top pair as my opponent caught a runner runner flush on my all in raise. (Another second place, sigh)I was doing well to take his blinds and steal raises, though, so thanks for the advice. The aggressive strategy seems to make sense. And is it more or less true to call this area of the game a crap shoot?

Robk
07-11-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And is it more or less true to call this area of the game a crap shoot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally the blinds are so high that folding is rarely correct. So in the long run each player should win roughly in proportion to his stack size. But if someone plays too tight, he'll win much less than his fair share.