PDA

View Full Version : How was my play here?

LockLow34
07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Live 3/6 HE
Table: loose-passive
I'm in the BB with AKo
MP (somewhat loose, very aggressive, one of the other 2 solid players at the table; he's played with me before but not for awhile) raises after 1 EP (weak) limper. I immediately put him on some kind of premium hand. 2 LP callers (both weak/loose-passive) behind. The SB folds. I only call since any re-raise by me isn't going to drive anyone out.

Flop comes A6T (6 & T suited in hearts)

SB checks, I check (intending to raise when he bets to see where I stand), EP checks, MP bets, folded back to me, I raise, EP folds, MP re-raises (OK, he's got a monster), I call

Turn: blank
I check, he bets, I call

River: blank
I check, he bets, I call

He shows pocket TT and I show my AK to the table.

Questions:
Is a fold after his re-raise on the flop preferrable? (obviously according to the Fundamental Theorem it is, although I couldn't completely put him off of KK or even QQ)

Should I have bet into him initially? (I went for the check-raise since it's more powerful than simply betting into the raiser)

bdk3clash
07-11-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Live 3/6 HE
Table: loose-passive
I'm in the BB with AKo
MP (somewhat loose, very aggressive, one of the other 2 solid players at the table; he's played with me before but not for awhile) raises after 1 EP (weak) limper. I immediately put him on some kind of premium hand. 2 LP callers (both weak/loose-passive) behind. The SB folds. I only call since any re-raise by me isn't going to drive anyone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't just raise to get other players out, you raise because you're getting the best of it. 3-bet preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes A6T (6 & T suited in hearts)

SB checks, I check (intending to raise when he bets to see where I stand), EP checks, MP bets, folded back to me, I raise, EP folds, MP re-raises (OK, he's got a monster), I call

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where the "OK, he's got a monster" read comes from, since you described this player as "loose" and "very aggressive." Against this player, I would have probably just led out on the flop and 3-bet if/when he raised, partially to see whether he caps the flop or not.

I would have capped the flop and led the turn, calling down if he raised the turn.

Keep in mind, this is all based on my (err, your) read of this player as loose and very aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: blank
I check, he bets, I call

River: blank
I check, he bets, I call

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn and river look good.

[ QUOTE ]
He shows pocket TT and I show my AK to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get better feedback here if you include the results in a separate post a few hours or a day later--that way, everyone can give advice based on what you knew at the time. Our analyses may be subtly biased by knowing what he actually had.

Also--why did you show your hand to the table? Generally, don't do this.

[ QUOTE ]
Questions:
Is a fold after his re-raise on the flop preferrable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you can fold TPTK against a loose-aggressive player's 3-bet here.

[ QUOTE ]
(obviously according to the Fundamental Theorem it is, although I couldn't completely put him off of KK or even QQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Given his range of holdings, you're in very good shape against a ton of them. It sucks that he had TT here, but don't be results oriented.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have bet into him initially? (I went for the check-raise since it's more powerful than simply betting into the raiser)

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-raising isn't inherently "powerful"--it's just one of the many tools in your arsenal. I think betting out and 3-betting would have been better, but check-raising has its advantages as well.

Kluddeludde
07-11-2004, 05:04 PM
3-bet preflop. It doesn't matter if you will drive anyone out or not, you will win more than your fair share and thus a 3-bet is +EV.

Do not fold to the reraise on the flop and do not be so quick to put him on a big hand. You say he's a bit loose and very aggressive and you still instantly put him on a hand that beats your TPTK.

I would be inclined to bet into him on the turn or river and call down if raised.

As to your questions...

Do not fold to his reraise. As I said earlier, you may have him beat or you may be drawing live against a two pair.

Whether or not you should bet into him on the flop. It really doesn't matter, just be prepared to 3-bet if he raises you.

Kludde