PDA

View Full Version : How much of an idiot I am

Diesel10
07-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Sorry for the length of this post, but have you ever needed to rant against yourself?
Been lurking here awhile, but here's the story...
Been playing for years with mixed results before I decided to adopt a new tight strategy. Started only playing top 10 hands (AA-88, AK, AQ, KQ) aggresively. In position would play (77-22, AJ, KJ and AT). And would occassionally through in suited mid connectors or would slow play to be slightly less predictable.
Using this "strategy" I started doing pretty well. Turned $20 online into almost $400 in couple months. Won $150 at Bellagio ($4-$8) in March another $110 at Taj and played in my first no limit tournament $30+$10 at the Borgata last week and finished at the final table 7th out of 128 (for $313) and then won another $50 playing $3-$6.
Feeling pretty good about myself and wanting to step it up, I used a gift certificate I had to buy Sklansky and Malmuth's HEFAP and Cloutier and McEvoy's Championship No-Limit/Pot Limit Hold 'em.
Here's where the major stupidity comes in. I skimmed HEFAP and was thrilled at the concepts: More hands, more excitement, more profit! So without a sound foundation of understanding the concepts, I started to play online. Keep in mind I had not even read the whole book.
I managed in the span of two days to turn almost $400 into $7.50. Yea me! Not only was I playing half-baked with concepts I didn't fully have down, but I obviously let myself tilt. You'd think after losing the first $200 or so, I'd have stopped, but nooooooo.
So for penance, I am taking a couple weeks off. I am going back to micro limits to try to build back on solely the $7.50. I am going back to my original strategy that worked pretty well in the first place. I am going to read both books cover to cover (more than once) and swear to myself not to change my play until I can thoroughly understand and explain the concepts.
Sorry for this lengthy rant. I just needed to let off some steam for being so stupid. Hopefully I'll learn something from this. Hope you all won some money from my goof.
Over. Out.

dogmeat
07-11-2004, 03:15 PM
You are not an idiot. You just tried to use B&M/HEFAP concepts in an online environment. Go back to playing 15% of the flops voluntarily and you will be fine. When you have the bankroll up a bit, start pushing your borderline hands more and pushing your quality (read - nut) draws more when you are getting good odds. You will be fine.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Michael Davis
07-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Diesel,

Your limit hold 'em strategy is way too tight.

-Michael

TobDog
07-11-2004, 07:40 PM
I tend to agree with Mike, BUT, while you are rebuilding, I assume you are going to read HPFAP and digest it. You were playing more hands and not understanding why those hands were playable, right? When you played your top 10 + some other position hands, I assume you worked that into your game and understood why the + hands didn't play UTG, or cold calling a raise. When your adding new hands, you should understand when something will work and when it will not, just need that experience.
BTW, I think one could just play the hands you say online probably up to at least 3-6 and be profitable, just a guess, I am sure someone will weigh in on that.

tobdog

Danenania
07-12-2004, 01:12 AM
I think reading posts in the Micro-Limit forum has higher value than reading HPFAP for a beginner. I had the same troubles at first, but the micro-limits forum cured me and I'm now doing well at 2-4. Look especially for posts by Ed Miller. Also buy his book when it comes out. Good luck on rebuilding.

MicroBob
07-12-2004, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think reading posts in the Micro-Limit forum has higher value than reading HPFAP for a beginner. I had the same troubles at first, but the micro-limits forum cured me and I'm now doing well at 2-4. Look especially for posts by Ed Miller. Also buy his book when it comes out. Good luck on rebuilding.

[/ QUOTE ]

completely agree.
the ML forums did the same for me.
HEFAP is nice foundation but many of the concepts, and consequently much of the book, does not apply to the games i am playing.
i learned a lot and absorbed so much knowledge just paging through the various hand-histories and responses and discussions in the ML and SS forums.

very much looking forward to Ed's book.

Alobar
07-12-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or would slow play to be slightly less predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a HUGE mistake, you will win a ton more money if you simply stop doing this and just play your hands straight forward. At the lower limits no one pays attention or doesn't believe you anyway

Diesel10
07-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I am once again breathing normally and no longer putting my fist through any walls- so I got that going for me, which is nice. Had a winning session last night, which of course helped. Heading over to the micro limits forum per your suggestions.

stir
07-12-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with Danenania's advice - but go a step further:

Do a search for ALL Ed Miller posts, including those in the older archives. Read those threads completely so you can truly put his comments in context. This is a heavy assignment time-wise, but for lo limit play his advice will serve you better and improve your play faster then the same amount of time spent reading and digesting HEFAP, which (generally) is aimed at more advanced play in tougher games, e.g. $15/30 and up.

You can move on to reading and understanding HEFAP later.

nykenny
07-12-2004, 11:23 AM
we all have been there, u will do better, i guarantee. /images/graemlins/smile.gif