PDA

View Full Version : A bdk3clash hand, Clarkmeister style

bdk3clash
07-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I'm really starting to dig Clarkmeister's posts where he doesn't include his hand, so here's a shot at one of my own.

4/8 game in NYC. EP in this hand is a young Wall Street dude. I surmise this from the fact that he is young and reading the Wall Street Journal. Of course, he might just really be into finance, or totally dig their ultra-conservative Op/Ed page.

Anyway, EP limps, MP1 limps, MP2 Limps, Button limps, I complete in the SB, BB checks his option. 6 of us see the flop for 6 SBs/3 BBs.

Flop comes:

8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, EP raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls, I call.

3 of us see the turn for 5 BBs.

Turn comes:

(8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, EP bets, Button calls.

3 of us see the river for 8 BBs

River comes:

(8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif) K/images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, EP raises, Button folds, I call.

What did I have? What did EP have?

(Note that Clarkmeister probably posts these hands for their educational value, whereas I'm just kind of doing it for shits and giggles. There may not be much to learn here, except for me.)

Haupt_234
07-11-2004, 01:32 PM
EP should have 88, 44, or K10. I am going to go with 88, for shits and giggles.

You have... 2 /images/graemlins/club.gifs? I can't see you betting out top pair like you did, slowing down, and then betting the river here as a sort of stop and go. With multiple people in the pot, I can see you playing a weaker flush draw this exact same way.

Haupt_234

sfer
07-11-2004, 02:17 PM
EP flopped a set, you rivered a small flush.

Was this on Saturday? It takes a real Alex P. Keaton to read the Weekend Journal.

bdk3clash
07-11-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EP flopped a set, you rivered a small flush.

Was this on Saturday? It takes a real Alex P. Keaton to read the Weekend Journal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's was 4:30 AM Saturday morning, so the answer to this question is debatable. He was reading Friday's edition.

By the way, I asked if that was Friday's or Saturday's "Times," and he snidely pointed out that it was the Journal, then resumed reading about T-Bills or whatever it is you finance guys read about.

Does this change your answer?

sfer
07-11-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I asked if that was Friday's or Saturday's "Times," and he snidely pointed out that it was the Journal, then resumed reading about T-Bills or whatever it is you finance guys read about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. All that stuff is on Bloomberg in real time. The numbers pages on the WSJ are totally antiquated now.

I read the Times. I have a friend who writes for the Journal. I like to point that out to him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I had 7/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif for the flopped straight flush draw/rivered flush; Wall Street had Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif for trips, and MHIG.

Comments on my play on each street appreciated.

sfer
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
I would 3-bet the flop. I would also look forward to widening my range of river 3-betting hands against Mr. Keaton.

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would 3-bet the flop. I would also look forward to widening my range of river 3-betting hands against Mr. Keaton.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it. My thinking at the time was that I wanted to keep the button around, but in retrospect if he's willing to call two cold once he'll call two cold again, and every bet going into the pot 3-handed is +EV for me, with about a gazillion probable outs.

(Interestingly, I played last night and saw a lot of bizarre action, like limping and folding for one more bet preflop multi-way, and raising the flop and folding for one more multi-way. I know the latter can be a valid Tommy Angelo-type move, but these players were more likely doing it for some nonsensical reason. There has to be some card they'd like to see on the turn, right?)

If I 3-bet and it goes call-call, am I obligated to bet the turn?

I thought it was pretty obvious I was on a flush draw and hit it on the river--I bet out instead of check-raising because I was afraid it would be checked through.

Unfortunately, Gordon Gekko busted out shortly thereafter.

sfer
07-12-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(Interestingly, I played last night and saw a lot of bizarre action, like limping and folding for one more bet preflop multi-way, and raising the flop and folding for one more multi-way. I know the latter can be a valid Tommy Angelo-type move, but these players were more likely doing it for some nonsensical reason. There has to be some card they'd like to see on the turn, right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the Gypsies were playing.

[ QUOTE ]
If I 3-bet and it goes call-call, am I obligated to bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read Clark say that another good reason for 3-betting the flop is it usually gets you through the turn for a single bet. Obviously not this particular turn card.

turnipmonster
07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
why no river checkraise?

--turnipmonster

Monty Cantsin
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why no river checkraise?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that he felt the way he played it made it pretty clear he could be on a flush draw and therefore it might get checked through and at the same time he really doesn't want to get 3-bet. He wants 1 or 2 bets going in here, not 0 or 3.

/mc

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why no river checkraise?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that he felt the way he played it made it pretty clear he could be on a flush draw and therefore it might get checked through and at the same time he really doesn't want to get 3-bet. He wants 1 or 2 bets going in here, not 0 or 3.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what he said.

Sarge85
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had 7/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif for the flopped straight flush draw/rivered flush; Wall Street had Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif for trips, and MHIG.

Comments on my play on each street appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might jam the flop, but with only 3 of you in it, I think you could go either way.

NH

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif