PDA

View Full Version : Very tough Sports trivia

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 10:06 AM
For any Dodger fan over 40 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don Sutton only lost one game in his High School career. Who was the winning pitcher?

Hint 1: He never player MLB, but had a stellar career in another sport.

Hint 2: He's left-handed.

Enjoy.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Don Sutton grew up in Alabama.

Anyone who calls himself a spots fan and is 40 or older now has enough information to deduce the answer.

JoeU
07-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm gonna guess Joe Namath, but I'm not sure if he was a lefty or not. I think he had ties to Alabama. I'm also not a 40 or older Dodgers fan. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Joe Namath is righthanded and grew up in Beaver Falls, PA. Went to college at 'Bama and is about 5 years older than Sutton, I think.

JoeU
07-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey, at least I gave it a shot.

After I answered it, I thought Namath might not have gone to high school at the same time as Sutton. I also knew that Namath had some tie to Alabama.

Since on one else is taking a shot at this, can you throw us a second hit, like what sport the mystery athlete did play?

Joe

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I won't name the sport, but I will say he had a well-earned reputation as the ultimate party animal.

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 04:23 PM
John Daily?....ahhh he's way too young. You got me thinking hard on this one.... hmmmmmmmm

cubswin

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Was Bart Starr left handed?

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Ahhh....i think starr is too old anyway

pls...no more hints.....yet

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Bart had won a few NFL games before Sutton was in HS.

GuyOnTilt
07-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Good question. I'm afraid I don't qualify as over 40, but I am a huge baseball fan so I gave this one some thought this morning. My first guess turned out not to be from Alabama, but my second one it turns out did grow up there. Are his initials KS?

GoT

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Indeed it was The Snake, who turned down a hefty (for that day) bonus to sign with the Pirates so he could play QB for The Bear.

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I got the answer but it took some research.....atleast i think i got it. KS?

GuyOnTilt
07-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Woo hoo! What do I win?

GoT

PS. You should do these more often.

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Damn you guy....you beat me to it /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS. You should do these more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we should start a thread where the first person who answers the questions correctly has to ask the next question. Your up guy

GuyOnTilt
07-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Just goes to show, anybody who likes the cubs knows nothing about baseball. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 05:11 PM
What do I win?

I don't know. A spot with (though significantly below) Ken Jennings on the trivia hall of fame?

JoeU
07-11-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Indeed it was The Snake

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, now you say this! I could have easily gotten this one, but I walk away for a minute and come back to 13 posts of KS!

Oh well, maybe next time.

Joe

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anybody who likes the cubs knows nothing about baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now... be fair. Most of us cub fans know our fair share about baseball... it's just that none of us know anything about winning baseball.

GuyOnTilt
07-11-2004, 05:28 PM
C'mon now... be fair. Most of us cub fans know our fair share about baseball... it's just that none of us know anything about winning baseball.

At least they play in what has been the best division in baseball for the last 3 years. It's a shame the Astros are going to beat them out for the Wild Card this year though.

Go 'Stros!

GoT

Cubswin
07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame the Astros are going to beat them out for the Wild Card this year though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do i hear you saying you want to bet this? If you do let me know /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
07-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Damnit.. I'm too lazy! Who's KS????

[ QUOTE ]
At least they play in what has been the best division in baseball for the last 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, NL Central has been better than AL West? Me thinks not.

GuyOnTilt
07-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Damnit.. I'm too lazy! Who's KS????

Ken "the Snake" Stabler.

Dude, NL Central has been better than AL West? Me thinks not.

The media hasn't given it the attention it deserves until this year, but yes, the NL Central has been the best and most consistently competitive division in MLB for the past 3 or 4 years. ESPN has just refused to give hype to any other divisions but the NL West and AL East, and continues to do so to some degree.

GoT

Chris Daddy Cool
07-11-2004, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the NL Central has been the best and most consistently competitive division in MLB for the past 3 or 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh... competitive... meaning not the best teams... I think by far the best teams have come out of the AL West... AND they've been pretty competitive too.

I agree AL East is WAY overhyped.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Astros are going to beat them out

The Astros aren't going anywhere as long as they continue to employ the worst manager in the history of baseball.

nolanfan34
07-12-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Astros are going to beat them out

The Astros aren't going anywhere as long as they continue to employ the worst manager in the history of baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they fire Williams and hire Grady Little?

Josh W
07-12-2004, 04:45 AM
While the NL central has consistently had 3 good teams over recent years (the reds have struggled), they've also had 19 games each against 3 weak teams. The AL west never had that luxury. If a new team was formed, it would have a better record if placed in the NL central than the AL west...

Josh

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-12-2004, 08:47 AM
A trained chimp (or even Onlinechamp) would be better than Jimy. He had the opportunity to work for the best game manager of our generation (Bobby Cox) for a good number of years. All he learned from him was how to berate an umpire.

I'm sure Cox never taught him to double-switch his best offensive player out of the game in the 5th inning with the postseason on the line.