PDA

View Full Version : Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

SinCityGuy
07-11-2004, 08:22 AM
You guys look like idiots, you're not accomplishing anything, and you're likely driving off the type of player that you want at your table.

Put yourself in the shoes of a recreational fish, who is there to gamble, socialize and have a good time. Which of the following tables are you most likely going to want to sit at:

a) a bunch of sour, silent, serious, brooding guys with baseball caps, sunglasses and headphones

or

b) a table of cheerful people who look and dress like you do?

deacsoft
07-11-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys look like idiots, you're not accomplishing anything, and you're likely driving off the type of player that you want at your table.

Put yourself in the shoes of a recreational fish, who is there to gamble, socialize and have a good time. Which of the following tables are you most likely going to want to sit at:

a) a bunch of sour, silent, serious, brooding guys with baseball caps, sunglasses and headphones

or

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to wear glasses, and they did accomplish something. They made the other players at the table more comfortable because they were unaware that I was constantly staring at them hand after hand. They probably just made me for some idiot who was wearing glasses (which was good for me) like you stated. It wasn't untill nearly everyone (dealers, cardroom managers, regulars, chasiers) knew me by name that I stopped wearing them.

It has been my experience that most producers don't care at all about what you're wearing or how you play. They simply don't know any better. I also found your hasty generalization of the "...silent, sour, serious..." player types to be absurd. Anyone can fit that description wether wearing glasses or not. I would be willing to say that most producers would rather sit at a table full of friendly looking and talkitive players, but just as many simply want to play and don't care with whom.

Glenn
07-11-2004, 05:00 PM
If you wear sunglasses indoors, you are a tool. The end.

Ulysses
07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I sometimes wear shades when I've been playing a long session live and the crappy fluorescent light starts to bother my eyes. But then I often take them off when I play a hand. I also sometimes loan them to my opponents if they seem worried about me getting a good read on them. Olé.

cardcounter0
07-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Annie Duke told me that most tools aren't aware that they are tools. A tool wouldn't notice that most people don't want to play with a bunch of tools.

pc in NM
07-11-2004, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]
I wear sunglasses because I'm blind. Other players think of me as "unpredictable", and have a harder time grasping my betting patterns....

But, I'm always friendly....

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me think....I usually pick tables by play style...not fashion style...This isn't a fashion show...I realize our culture is so superficial that we are judged by our clothes cars and cell phone. I will admit that a majority of the players that wear shades do so only because
1. they saw it on Tv..and monkey see monkey do....Your idiot comment applies here

2. They are chemically inconvienenced and trying to hide the bloodshot eyes....

3. They do so to conceal eye contact with other players not letting others know wear you are looking could allow you to catch tells from others...etc...

DO you also ask what kind of car they drive before you sit at a table?

SinCityGuy
07-12-2004, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DO you also ask what kind of car they drive before you sit at a table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, you didn't understand what I was talking about.

This isn't about me; it's about the recreational player who comes to socialize and have fun (and ends up being a good contributor). Given the choice, he is more likely to sit at a table with people who look like him, as opposed to a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.

Franchise (TTT)
07-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Do you personally know a lot of winning players that dress like that? In my experience, the guys with the caps/sunglasses are the ones I want in my game.

Sooga
07-12-2004, 04:44 AM
You are absolutely right... I wear eyeblack instead. It keeps the glare out of my eyes, and it doesn't intimidate the fish.

Dan Mezick
07-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Furthermore, I believe sunglasses and hats to a lesser extent actually hurt the results of the potentially best players. These potentialy great players wearing these items actually have a subtle force at work on them. The force is belief that:

1. They are emitting tells that need to be covered up;

2. They are wearing sunglasses & hats and at some level believe "they have that problem/leak covered", leading to

3. A paradox and irony: they actually are less disciplined in how they carry themselves at the table because they believe (2) and ironically emit more tells with body language (pausing, chip manipulaton behavior, speaking)

You dont see Howard Lederer, Gus Hansen or Phil Ivey wearing shades and hats, although Ivey wears them in the early stages of tournaments.

I suspect there is a very strong reason why the top ot the top pros are not wearing all this headgear.

steamboatin
07-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I wear a hat because I am afraid the light reflecting from my shiny bald head will fry someone's retina, like the warning on a CD or DVD player.

turnipmonster
07-12-2004, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing.

--turnipmonster

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
I guess that would be true, but if they are playing for fun and to socialize, then winning isn't a factor in why they are playing....So, why would they care who is at the table? ....You are putting two completely different motivations for playing together here....So, I may not quite understand what your point is here.....

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 11:48 AM
good points there

MrTeddyKGB
07-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I wear glasses and a hat and headphones because mid level players always think that i am playing more tricky that I am which lets me bet my hands less deceptivly. Anytime I can get free action I take it. Only an idiot would judge someone by his clothes.

astroglide
07-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Only an idiot would judge someone by his clothes.

gimme a break. virtually everybody judges people by their clothes, including you.

andyfox
07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Because of Chris Moneymaker. They think it's cool.

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Not everyone judges by clothes...There are people out there that can see past crap like that...Hard to grasp I know...but it is true. I never make judgements anyway...I make assesments.

Cpt Spaulding
07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
So all the people on MTV that wear sunglasses inside got that idea from moneymaker too? The practice long outdates moneymakers appearance on espn...Come on really who gives a [censored] who wears what and why anyway? worry about yourself..

bdk3clash
07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the advice on limit hold'em in his book, yes.

RollaJ
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you define as middle limits. I dont think its wrong to wear glasses at any limit above 2-4... if people choose to. Ive seen many "eye" tells in 5-10 games, maybe theyd look like tools but they'd make more money.

Recreational fish like playing with the sunglasses types from what Ive seen, they actually think its cool.

I personally would wear them a lot more often if I found them more comfortable. That being said I hardly ever wear them. I wouldnt wear them for image but rather so I could stare at people including the waitress and the guy flashing his hand every so often

turnipmonster
07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure.

--turnipmonster

doubledown998
07-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I've found that its the younger players (including myself) that wear the shades at the B&M places I've been to.

turnipmonster
07-12-2004, 05:52 PM
in my experience in the games I play, the people at the table wearing shades are usually inexperienced and/or somewhat scared money. just a generalization, obviously not always true.

--turnipmonster

bernie
07-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I got to diablo's post and stopped. He said it right. Sitting at a table for hours the lights suck. Shades help to greatly cut the glare and make your eyes less tired.

There is one guy who has shades now with holographic eyeballs on them that i've played with. Now if he can learn to raise a nut hand on the river instead of just calling a single bet to close the action with 4 players in the pot he may be on to something.

Hiding tells? There are plenty of signs you can get without seeing a guys eyes.

Usually there will be a mixture of the 2 tables you described.

b

Dan Mezick
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Poker teaches you to make assessments. Isnt that a great thing? You learn to humble yoruself, and not be so quick to make judgements about people. Poker forces you to make quick estimations of the measure of a person, yet showing up with some prejudice, quite simply, will cost you.

In poker, prejudged measurements will cost you. Accurate assessments dont.

Interestingly, it's what you cannot see with your eyes, but rather (to quote Dr, Al) it's what you sense, sometimes with your 'third ear'.

Is there a better way than poker to really know the essence a person in the shortest possible period of time?

The world's most magnificent "game".

Dan Mezick
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Less tired?

Not. Here is an article on this subject from CardPlayer:

The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=13833&PHPSESSID=c68dee61af9a3 834a39a5bb91e3fd312)

From the article:
"For all of you who have never worn shades at the poker table, there are a couple of disadvantages: You get tired much quicker, and clubs look like spades."

bernie
07-12-2004, 10:57 PM
My eyes seemed to stay fresher longer. Especially on later nights. It may matter just how dark your shades are. I dont think the author is any more an optometrist than me in his opinion on this. However, Im talking more about eyestrain. Though the smoke still stings after awhile of sitting there.

I've been in rooms where they used a darker red on the cards so it was a bitch to distinguish colors even without shades. I didn't wear shades in there.

b

Cpt Spaulding
07-13-2004, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize). I am sure you have a good game, but don't over do it.

sonataarctica
07-13-2004, 06:04 AM
i see your point but dont stereotype people who wear glasses. to be completely honest i love glasses and a hat cause i can look at people without them knowing and it helps me with giving away my tells(yes i know overrated but still). i am more at ease. it makes me comfortable and if i cant be comfortable at a table than i couldnt give 2 s h i t s if a fish doesnt wanna play with me. but immitators give those who actually use glasses for a reason a bad name so i understand your frustration

stir
07-13-2004, 10:49 AM
LOL. Great reply.

turnipmonster
07-13-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize).

[/ QUOTE ]

phil is an excellent, well respected tournament player. he is also a notorious cash game fish.

--turnipmonster

elwoodblues
07-13-2004, 02:59 PM
They wear them for the same reason they wear them at the higher limits --- because they're cooler than me.

bdk3clash
07-13-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize). I am sure you have a good game, but don't over do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Luckily" for me, if he's at my table he'll be playing limit hold'em.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]?

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Disappointing Things to Learn For the First Time:

-The Tooth Fairy isn't real
-Phil Hellmuth sucks at limit hold'em cash games

StellarWind
07-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what I'll do when I finally learn to play B&M. I love my sunglasses but I don't usually wear them indoors.

Meanwhile let me observe that I have frequently benefited from eye tells at *chess*. That's right, chess. Many times while a player is calculating his eyes will lock on the section of the board where the principal action is happening. If I look up and see my opponent staring at an unexpected spot, I reexamine the position to see what it is that he could be thinking about. Often I see something I was completely oblivious to.

So until I get first-hand experience I'm going to be a little skeptical of those who say that sunglasses couldn't possibly help me win at poker.

toots
07-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Well, I don't know if sunglasses give people an advantage or not.

Whenever I see someone playing low-limit at a B&M with sunglasses on, I can't help but think "cheese-dick."

Is he a better player than me? I dunno. I s'pose if he is, we're both getting what we want. He's getting my money, and my pedantic misanthropic douchebag need to see pompous inflated egos at work is being fed.

That's the nice thing about the world. There's balance like that.

MrTeddyKGB
07-13-2004, 06:02 PM
What I mean is only an idiot whould judge a person who is likley to be trying to influence you by his clothes is an idiot. Some people dress like torist, some dress like bums.

deacsoft
07-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Some people name them selves after a character in Rounders. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JK man. No offense intended.

Sully
07-14-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people name them selves after a character in Rounders. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT is funny...and couldn't be more accurate. Hi pot, meet kettle.

Whistlr
07-14-2004, 02:47 AM
I rarely wear sunglasses at low and mid-limit tables; when I do it's because I've made a goal to hone a better feel for the game by analyzing every move a guy (or the hot girl across the table in the low cut dress) might make in his (her) decision making. Sure, I could do that without sunglasses, but I don't want to worry about behaving in a socially unacceptable manner. I want to assess and analyze with complete freedom.

I also like to leave my headphones on when I'm not even listening to music. It's great to a) avoid being expected to respond to whatever drivel someone might otherwise expect you to reply to, and b) hear what people might say when they don't think you're listening, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey, my virgin post. Salut.

-) Whistlr

The_Tracker
07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

I currently live in a state without gaming (except the indian reservations) so therefore I play lots of home games and amatuer league tourneys at the local bars. I have yet to come across many players around here I would consider to be on the same level of understanding of the game. I have a small group of friends I play with regularly that are pretty good, but they truthfully, learned from me. The first time I played at an APL tourney at the radisson hotel with field of over 300, I won. First live tourney. I have only been playing for about 2 years and crafted my game online, but I own the people around here.

Ego aside, point being is that I often wear sunglasses while playing and took a bit of offense to your post. I have also had people on more than one occasion, say something to the effect of "oh lord, this guy is putting on glasses." or "he's trying to be like the guys on TV". This is all funny, and always before I have taken their money for the evening.

In my experience, this does not scare off the fish. It is a matter of your persona behind the glasses. If you play it off as a joke as well, then it works well. It all about acting. Building a table persona. If you want to laugh and think I am silly for wearing glasses that's fine. I will admit I wear glasses because I don't want people to see me staring at them. I tell them this as well and they when the say they don't care, I take them off and stare at them. I don't know about you, but 95% of the course of the hand I am NOT looking at my cards, or the cards on the board. I prefer to not let people see what I am looking at, as it might give them an idea as to what to look at.

Cuz lord knows, most of the fish around here are looking at two things and two only. Their hand and their chips.

toots
07-14-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cuz lord knows, most of the fish around here are looking at two things and two only. Their hand and their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because it'd take a different prescription for them to look at the only thing they think matters more.

Bluff Daddy
07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Johnny Chan had an article just like this post in cardplayer

Lawrence Ng
07-16-2004, 06:32 AM
Deacsoft,

I wear sunglasses for two reasons:

1. I am tired, I do not want opponents to see I am tired. But my yawns usually give it away.

2. The light is way too bright for me.

Sunglasses and baseball caps and walkmans/cd players do not make people anti-social. Anti-social people make people anti-social.

Ask anyone in Vancouver who plays with me and you will find I love to talk it up on the table and ramble on about anything to pass time while not in a hand. My baseball cap and sunglass image mean squat. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
07-16-2004, 05:06 PM
After reading yours and SinCity's posts, I just gotta say...

Gimme a break!

[ QUOTE ]
You dont see Howard Lederer, Gus Hansen or Phil Ivey wearing shades

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimme a break #1. NEED I REALLY go into a "name dropping frenzy" (such as this) to point out top pros who DO wear sunglasses?

Gimme a break #2. Not everyone wears hats or shades to cover up tells.

Gimme a break #3. Not everyone who wears glasses is subsequently less disciplined because of their choice to wear glasses.

Gimme a break #4. Not everyone is an antisocial jerk at the table solely due to their wearing sunglasses or hats. Some, including me, are usually quite sociable at the table, regardless of headgear.

There is a HUGE spectrum of people, and reasons, for wearing sunglasses or headgear. While SOME people DO fit these extreme descriptions, certainly not ALL do.

I wear sunglasses while playing. But I usually have them flipped up between hands, thus allowing me to socialize more easily. I don't wear them to cover up tells, I wear them so that other players don't notice what I watch during the hand, particularly not if it's them and THEIR tells/telegraphs.

I also sometimes wear hats, but I don't hide behind them like a moron, I usually wear them up and out of my face, and their general purpose is to block out the bright lights that are often shining directly in my eyes in the cardroom, not "to hide my blatant tells."

I agree that wearing headphones is just plain silly. Why on earth anyone would NOT want to listen to the conversation at the table is beyond me. I guess they value their own perception of their own supposed "pro-ness" than the often very valuable information spewing forth from their opponent's never ending yakking about how they play.

My suggestion is that if you are at my table, you retain the ability to discard your stereotypes in light of new information, because I wear glasses, and I don't fit the extreme stereotypes that are portrayed in this thread at all. First impressions have some value, but the ability to revise your opinions in the light of new information is far more valuable.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Yep, that's right. You make a summary judgement that covers all situations and all people for all times and it's instantaneously pure undeniable and inarguable fact.

Thanks sooooo much. I'm writing it all down now.

al

MoreWineII
07-16-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't think that it scares off players, however I do agree that it's silly.

jerome baker
07-16-2004, 09:49 PM
cuz my eyes looks [censored] up.

deacsoft
07-17-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that wearing headphones is just plain silly. Why on earth anyone would NOT want to listen to the conversation at the table is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding that headphones are worn by many to simply pass the time. Good poker is generaly boring due to the tight preflop requirements (folding and waiting). Head phones fill a void created by this by giving a player some kind of entertainment between playable hands. It fills this void and also allows the player to still closely watch the action as opposed to reading the paper or something like that. Again, this is not gospel but simply my understanding.

J_V
07-17-2004, 06:55 AM
haha capone...you must be a tool too /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Michael Davis
07-17-2004, 07:20 AM
I agree with deacsoft. I recently gave up the sunglasses, but can't part with the headphones. The game is simply too boring most of the time to do without them. I know I'm giving up a few bucks per hour earn and it's worth it.

-Michael

Al_Capone_Junior
07-17-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha capone...you must be a tool too

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true /images/graemlins/grin.gif ... but it ain't cuz I wear glasses. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm one of a very few players where I play who looks intently at other players rather than his own cards. I'm the only one watching my opponents reactions to the flop intently, and my staring at people was getting noticed a bit too much. Now they can't tell I'm staring at them. Plus this one young guy brings his wife around to the games. Not only is she exceptionally well formed, but she wears revealing clothes. The sunglasses make it much easier to cop a visual feel in between hands. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HiatusOver
07-17-2004, 01:49 PM
"HaHa Capone, you must be a tool too."

"That may be true ... but it ain't cuz I wear glasses."

Yes, but is it possible that you wear glasses because you are a tool?

mostsmooth
07-17-2004, 02:37 PM
if i wear sunglasses, its so i can stare at all the hot snapper and not get dirty looks

kgrad5
07-17-2004, 05:35 PM
if i wear sunglasses.. its usually at night so i can sing "i wear my sunglasses at night" .. oh man that was lame

Diplomat
07-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes, yes it was.

-Diplomat

danderso8
07-19-2004, 02:20 AM
plus, the makeup gives you a convenient way to mark cards

JasonP530
07-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Gotta love the guy whos in sunglasses and a hat, and makes sure to remain completely motionless after he puts 3 bets in the pot with J3s. Perhaps basic strategy before tells?

steamboatin
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
There is a place in the world for mindless drivel. You need a little break now and then.

Pokergod
07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
they wear sunglasses in low and mid limit games for the same reason a 25 handicap golfer buys a $500 driver, they see the Big Timers doing it.

Why does it bother you? That should be the important question you should ask yourself.

-PG

SinCityGuy
07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does it bother you? That should be the important question you should ask yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have answered this ad nauseum, but I'll do so one more time.

Given a choice, a recreational donator is more likely to want to sit at a table of normally attired people than he/she is going to want to sit at a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.

wacki
07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT is funny...and couldn't be more accurate. Hi pot, meet kettle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pot, meet kettle?
How is deacsoft a rounders name?

deacsoft
07-20-2004, 04:03 PM
"What I mean is only an idiot whould judge a person who is likley to be trying to influence you by his clothes is an idiot. Some people dress like torist, some dress like bums." -MrTeddyKGB

I responded to that post shown above in this thread. That should answer your Rounders question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ruddiger
07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that wearing headphones is just plain silly. Why on earth anyone would NOT want to listen to the conversation at the table is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding that headphones are worn by many to simply pass the time. Good poker is generaly boring due to the tight preflop requirements (folding and waiting). Head phones fill a void created by this by giving a player some kind of entertainment between playable hands. It fills this void and also allows the player to still closely watch the action as opposed to reading the paper or something like that. Again, this is not gospel but simply my understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hear everything going on at the table just fine, I guess it depends on how much hearing loss you have..

Pokergod
07-20-2004, 05:32 PM
That makes sense. You're probably right too. I used to wear glasses until I became confident in my own game, and now I prefer to not wear glasses because of the social value of people being able to look me in the eyes when they talk to me.

I think though, when I was starting out, working my way up the limits, I really thought there were a lot of excellent players out there, and I was sure they were reading me somehow. Now I understand they weren't all too good, but at the time I was a little worse.

-PG

Cpt Spaulding
07-20-2004, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Luckily" for me, if he's at my table he'll be playing limit hold'em.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]?

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw what you wrote. I am not sure I totally agree with you, but we all have our opinions on players abilities. I guess we should agree to disagree here.

xxxbones
07-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi

I like to wear them when i play online
gives me an edge. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

deacsoft
07-20-2004, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can hear everything going on at the table just fine, I guess it depends on how much hearing loss you have..

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that while wearing headphones you have little trouble hearing what's going on at the table? A yes or no answer is all I need. I just want to make sure I'm following what you're saying.

SpeakEasy
07-20-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have answered this ad nauseum, but I'll do so one more time.

Given a choice, a recreational donator is more likely to want to sit at a table of normally attired people than he/she is going to want to sit at a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never encountered the situation where I have the choice between (A) table of normally attired people and (B) table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones. Aren't these people usually mixed together at the tables? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Everywhere I have played for the last two years (local B&M casino and in Vegas), I, and everyone else playing (pros along with "recreational donators"), signs up on the wait list, and get the seat available when their name is called. I have never seen anyone walk up to the table when their name has been called, scout the table out, and decide to not play because someone (or more than one person) is wearing sunglasses, a cap or headphones.

I don't think you're going to persuade anyone here to take off the sunglasses with the argument that they will incrementally make the tables more friendly to the fish...

Zog
07-21-2004, 12:05 AM
I wear a diving mask and snorkel. Sometime I wear flippers, but this doesn't intimidate most people because they don't look under the table.

tylerdurden
07-21-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this bothers me much, but I wonder why the kiddies wearing the headphones always seem to get the BIGGEST headphones they can find.

Akasha
07-21-2004, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you personally know a lot of winning players that dress like that? In my experience, the guys with the caps/sunglasses are the ones I want in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Last year Moneymaker won and wore them did he not?

This year my friend took second , Dave Williams, and he wore them did he not?

So I guess, ya I do.

Akasha
07-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Someone explain the hat thing to me though.

I dont get it.

Akasha
07-21-2004, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess that would be true, but if they are playing for fun and to socialize, then winning isn't a factor in why they are playing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, Winning is fun.

B Dids
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Home tournaments we have it's become a competition on who can dress more like the cheesy poker player. I rock the plastic fake gold dollar sign necklace, the visor, and the sunglasses.

Givent the responses in this thread I'm more likely to wear my sunglasses (prescription variety) to a B&M if only because I'd love for some guy to think that I'm an over aggro kid who's 3-betting him with J3s.

Ruddiger
07-21-2004, 05:05 PM
yes, headphones and music doesn't have to mean blasting at full volume. I usually have it very very low. It's fun, sometimes people next to me will be talking like there is no way I can hear them. They will say things they would never say if I wasn't wearing them. I also don't wear them all the time. They are also good if you are sitting next to someone really annoying, most of the time peolpe will leave you alone if you put them on.

bdk3clash
07-21-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw what you wrote. I am not sure I totally agree with you, but we all have our opinions on players abilities. I guess we should agree to disagree here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He either sucks or he doesn't. Based on the advice given for limit hold'em in his book, he sucks. Feel free to provide some evidence to the contrary.

Cpt Spaulding
07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
here are just a couple for ya
1. 1989 World Champion of Poker (World Series of Poker).
2. # 1 with Nine World Championships of Poker (9 World Series of Poker titles-two of them in 2003).
3. First place on the WSOP (World Series of Poker) all time money list with over $3,524,000 in earnings
4. 1995 Hall of Fame Big One Champion
5. 2000 European Champion-Poker EM, the Worlds Biggest Seven-Card Stud event in Vienna at Casinos Austria.
6. #1 with 4 Hall of Fame Poker titles
7. winning three WSOP titles and one second in 1993; is considered the best feat in the history of poker.
8. Late Night Poker III Champion (LNP is being played on FOX right now. won it in 2000.
9. Won the Bicycle Clubs Championship event in 1988.
10. Numerous other titles in poker tournaments all over the world.
If that isn't enough...then I don't know what is.....

turnipmonster
07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
you're talking about tournaments, not cash games. the two are completely different.

bdk3clash
07-22-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. # 1 with Nine World Championships of Poker (9 World Series of Poker titles-two of them in 2003).
3. First place on the WSOP (World Series of Poker) all time money list with over $3,524,000 in earnings
5. 2000 European Champion-Poker EM, the Worlds Biggest Seven-Card Stud event in Vienna at Casinos Austria.
7. winning three WSOP titles and one second in 1993; is considered the best feat in the history of poker.
8. Late Night Poker III Champion (LNP is being played on FOX right now. won it in 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these titles will be incredibly useful at a limit cash game. You claimed to have actually read my post, but I'm not sure. We are talking about Hellmuth's abilities at ring games, not tournaments. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also, this: [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] isn't true: Fossilman won more than that.

Cpt Spaulding
07-22-2004, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All these titles will be incredibly useful at a limit cash game. You claimed to have actually read my post, but I'm not sure. We are talking about Hellmuth's abilities at ring games, not tournaments. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also, this: [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] isn't true: Fossilman won more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the 5 million first place prize in the 04 wsop it is wrong I agree......Well, more than you or I have or will ever accomplish in the poker world. You have to give credit where it is due. You can't really base his abilities on his book...It isn't always easy to explain how to do something. What info are you basing your opinion on other than his book?

bdk3clash
07-22-2004, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't really base his abilities on his book...It isn't always easy to explain how to do something. What info are you basing your opinion on other than his book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it quite clear that I was basing my analysis of him sucking at limit hold'em cash games on the advice given in his book. I thought I made this pretty clear when I said:

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the advice given for limit hold'em in his book...

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it's possible that he doesn't suck at limt hold'em, but chose to give sucky advice in his book either because he is unable to explain his unsucky play, or as a cunning ruse to get his future opponents to play suckily, but I think it's much more likely the advice sucks because he sucks.

What evidence do you have that he doesn't suck at limit hold'em cash games?

B Dids
07-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Dude,

Do you actualy play poker?

There's a world of difference between limit ring games and NL tournaments. It's only the same game inasmuch as the cards are delivered in the same way and the same hands win.

Ben Thornton
07-22-2004, 12:13 PM
The sound quality is much better and ,although heavier, the bigger headphones are much more comfortable to wear.

OrangeHeat
07-22-2004, 01:16 PM
I wear them for a couple of reasons (they are prescription):

1. It keeps the light down

2. I can stare at the "recreational" player without him feeling uncomfortable.

3. I can stare at the waitresses shamelessly

4. I can stare at GF's and wifes shamelessly.

#3 and #4 are the most important.

Orange

Gamblor
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Annie Duke can lick my balls.

kgrad5
07-22-2004, 03:26 PM
are you one of the people that wear sunglasses at low limit tables just to sing the song?

Gamblor
07-23-2004, 02:49 PM
This is why I wear sunglass at low limit tables.

Sunglasses at Night (http://www.lyricsxp.com/lyrics/s/sunglasses_at_night_corey_hart.html)

TripleH68
07-23-2004, 11:38 PM
MOST of the sunglass wearing players I run into fit into one of two extremes...

1) Very quiet and concentrating on the game.
2) Try to make fancy plays like they are on ESPN.

I love the number 2's, avoid games with the number 1's.

bunky9590
07-24-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HaHa Capone, you must be a tool too."

"That may be true ... but it ain't cuz I wear glasses."

[/ QUOTE ]

Please refer to the illustrious one only as MR. Tool.

If there is one cat in the poker room that IS NOT a tool, it would have to be Capone.

bdk3clash
07-24-2004, 10:53 PM
http://www.interq.or.jp/www1/onj1/corey/sunglasses.jpg

"Even I think this thread is lame."

tylerdurden
07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The sound quality is much better and ,although heavier, the bigger headphones are much more comfortable to wear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but I doubt even a serious audiophile can appreciate the difference in sound quality when in a noisy environment like a casino. The comfort value is worth noting, but most of the people I see wearing these are clearly just wanting you to notice their "super cool" headphones, as evidence of their "street cred."

toots
07-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, you'd hear the difference if they were some of the newer sound cancelling headphones.

Personally, I'd wear a set of lightweight Sennheisers. Can't stand them ear buds. Just hurt too much.

Then again, I go to the B&M to play poker, not listen to tunes.

sammy_g
07-26-2004, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good points, but I doubt even a serious audiophile can appreciate the difference in sound quality when in a noisy environment like a casino.

[/ QUOTE ]

These kinds of headphones are very good at keeping outside noises out (and the music in). I look pretty stupid wearing them, actually, but I don't really care.

jacki
07-26-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rock the plastic fake gold dollar sign necklace, the visor, and the sunglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did rock become a synonym for wear?

LeapingGnome
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
I know you're in Wisconsin, but get with the times. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

WDC
07-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I always figured it was becvause the light glared off my ample forehead.

m2smith2
08-02-2004, 10:53 PM
But not b/c it scares people off. It's just someone taking themselves too seriously. That is, I think the fish wear glasses. And, when that's true, hiding their eyes does them no good because it's usually their hands that give them away anyway.

eagletmr
08-02-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to wear glasses, and they did accomplish something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with your post. You don't have to be hostile just because you are wearing glasses. They can mask your staring, watching other players instead of the flop when it comes out, etc. You can still laugh, joke, and have a good time with the fish and make them feel comfortable by wearing glasses. Also, many fish wear glasses and act all serious today anyways with the TV poker phenomenon. Sunglasses can be nice in casino's with oddly placed bright lights as well! I see nothing wrong with wearing them.