PDA

View Full Version : Early MTT Strategy

3rdEye
07-11-2004, 05:19 AM
My understanding is that a lot of the players here don't like to get involved early in MTTs without premium hands. I'd like to improve my MTT performance, but I can't seem to justify doing things like folding JTs in LP after two limpers, etc. Should I really be waiting for the best hands to play in the early stages?

GimmeDaWatch
07-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Ive seen other people say things like that, but personally if anything I like to see cheap flops when the blinds are low and hope to hit a big hand. JTs is more than good enough, especially with position, to limp early in a tourney, and is a hand I would play even at the higher levels, if not for a large raise. I think the premium hand idea is one that puts importance on survival, and thats good, you dont want to risk too much early. However, if the tourney is structured fairly slow, you can see alot of flops with hands early on (especially drawing hands like suited connectors) for cheap, and then hope to bust one of the loose calling bad players who are in shorter and shorter supply as the tournament progresses. Im not sure I answered your question, but thats just my outlook and in general it has helped me more than its hurt in the fairly low buy-in tournaments.

SossMan
07-11-2004, 12:25 PM
I think the problem is that you need to be able to get off a ten high flop if there is significant action. Many players have trouble folding top pair on the flop and thus should only be playing premium hands early.

tripdad
07-11-2004, 05:47 PM
i play looser early when blinds are cheap and there is a lot of limping. then in the middle rounds, i tighten up...shortly before i go into full LAG mode.

cheers!