PDA

View Full Version : I need some poker tips

krazyace5
07-11-2004, 02:00 AM
I have been playing $1-$2 SH limit hold em.

After 10,000-15,000 I am down about $300.

Are there any quick tips or words of wisdom you can give to help me improve my game?

I have leaks somewhere, what are some of the most common leaks I should be looking to plug?

JTrout
07-11-2004, 02:49 AM
cold calling too much
calling too much.
overvalueing hands such AT, KJ, KT QJ,... especially from early position.

Post hands and study posted hands.

Good luck.
JTrout.

47outs
07-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Don't pay people off when you know your beat.
Post hands so we can offer some additional advice.

Good Luck,

Outs

ctv1116
07-11-2004, 09:14 AM
1. Start posting in the HUSH forum

2. I don't know without at least seeing some Pokertracker stats.

balt999
07-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Improving Hand selection...make sure you're don't playing hands out of position

Clarkmeister
07-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Always 3-bet or fold preflop when someone else has raised (unless in the BB). This is not optimal, but it is close enough that doing this alone should make a dramatic change in your results.

nykenny
07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Always 3-bet or fold preflop when someone else has raised (unless in the BB). This is not optimal, but it is close enough that doing this alone should make a dramatic change in your results.

[/ QUOTE ]

when 3 betting, please make sure you have a decent hand or there is a decent chance the raiser is on a steal... otherwise you will lose you pants before you know it, if u just 3betting with everything u used to colding-calling with (which would be a mistake of its own).

so make sure "fold" is still your best friend, however, your friendship with "fold" should be less than it is when you guys live in full ring games...

OR,

your leak might be that you cannot beat the S/H games yet, and full ring games might be your interim solution /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kenny

CORed
07-11-2004, 01:10 PM
A lot of folks have posted good advice on avoiding -EV plays, and this is important.

Equally important is to make sure you are maximizing the pot when you have the best of it. Value betting the river is especially important. It is easy to fall into the habit of checking the river, especially if people have been catching their draws and raising you a lot, but in general (this of course is player and situation dependant) not betting the river when you have the best hand and will be called will cost you a lot more than paying off the raises when you are beat. Also, be sure you are not playing your good hands -- top pair good kicker and better -- too passively on the flop and the turn. Calling when you should raise and checking when you should bet will cost you a lot of money. This also includes value betting and value raising your good draws when you have enough callers.

krazyace5
07-11-2004, 03:09 PM
One thing I have been doing is betting out on my flush(4 suited on flop) draws and oesd(on flop), of course at these limits people call til the end with nothing so should I quit doing this?

jwvdcw
07-11-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have been doing is betting out on my flush(4 suited on flop) draws and oesd(on flop), of course at these limits people call til the end with nothing so should I quit doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Semi-bluffing is profitable if and only if you think theres a chance you could win the pot immediately on a bluff. The most important factor is number of peop[le in the pot. Heads up, you can often win by betting here. However, if there are 5 people in the pot, then you have little chance of winning on a bluff, so I would just check/call if you are getting good pot/implied odds. Secondly to number of people in the pot, is the types of opponents you are playing against. As you said, it is hard to bluff at the low limits, so perhaps semi-bluffing is not a good strategy.

Bob T.
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
However, if there are 5 people in the pot, then you have little chance of winning on a bluff, so I would just check/call if you are getting good pot/implied odds.

If there are that many people in the pot, on the flop, you have a clear value bet with a draw to a flush or openended straight.

Danenania
07-12-2004, 01:02 AM
I've read in places that the rake is pretty oppressive in 1/2 6-max on party... I'm sure it can't be helpful for someone when learning. Anyone else want to comment on that?

Boopotts
07-12-2004, 01:43 AM
"Always 3-bet or fold preflop when raised to.."

I would also add that 95% of the time the correct move is to fold.