PDA

View Full Version : ducky set

detruncate
07-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Let's call UTG and UTG+1 typical players for the sake of argument.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

If you feel like weighing in on the pre-flop call, feel free. It's not one I'll make all the time, but with the dead money in there from CO and being reasonably sure that BB would call along, it didn't seem like too bad a call.

Flop: (10 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero ???

So... a raise by sleeping beauty and an overcall by a pre-flop raiser that liked the flop. Do we laugh at their pitiful 4-pair and quack it up, or is this a good time to shut it down?

Piiop
07-10-2004, 08:44 PM
3-bet that river without a doubt.

I would call the flop raise and check-raise the turn.

SteveY
07-10-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm not super sure about this but I'll try.

I think you have UTG+1 beat. If he had a set of Ks, Qs, or Aces he would easily reraise when he hit. And since he didn't I think it's safe to assume you got him.

UTG: I don't know where you stand with this guy. If he's passive he might have just called with AK preflop. Then again if he's just a bad player he might have JT. I'm inlcined to think two pair just his flop play would make a little more sense.

All in all I'd reraise because you win more money with the extra player showing down. You could potentially win 8BBs compared to only winning 4BBs with just one player showing down with you. Whereas if you have a losing hand, you can only lose 4BBs. The extra player (UTG+1) probably makes reraising a +EV play.

SnakeRat
07-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Piiop is right on, I think the preflop call is a good one.

detruncate
07-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Sounds like I screwed this one up good and proper like. I hate the fact that a set of 4's getting cracked an orbit or so earlier made me tentative on this river. The call was reflexive. Have to stop doing that. I like the turn check-raise. In fact, I thought about the problem of the flop 3-bet killing the action not long after I made it.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between Hero, UTG and UTG+1.</font> &gt; Pot won by Hero (18.50 BB).

Results:
Hero shows 2s 2d (three of a kind, twos).
UTG shows Qc Ad (two pair, aces and queens).
UTG+1 shows As Jc (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.50 BB.

Guess there are worse things in life than dragging a goodly sized pot after a couple missed bets. I just don't plan on making a habit of it. Thanks for the input.

Peter Harris
07-11-2004, 07:46 AM
agreed, i'd call there PF, the river is a must raise.

Regards,
Pete Harris