PDA

View Full Version : New Poker Community / News Site

GreggyB
07-10-2004, 08:29 PM
We just launched www.triptwos.com (http://www.triptwos.com) to serve as a decentralized news / discussion site for the poker community. We're looking for any and all suggestions and feedback you may have. The idea is to have 5-10 new posts a day to some interesting poker related content. If you run across any such content, be it a thread on a discussion board, or a poker related news article, feel free to use the 'Submit News' link on the left hand side to submit it to the site.

Thanks.

Greg
www.triptwos.com (http://www.triptwos.com)

Legian
07-10-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm not usually a negative person Greg but shouldn't you have something original in your site rather than just rehashing threads and stories from elsewhere?

Also, it's pretty bad that you've got a major typo in the first sentence on your homepage. You should probably fix that.

Further, the first two words on your site shouldn't be:
Anonymous writes

It kind of put me off.

Good luck,

Legian

cornell2005
07-10-2004, 10:27 PM
id possibly work on the color scheme. it hurt my eyes

elwoodblues
07-10-2004, 11:42 PM
pretty tacky to promote that here (where you are clearly playing off the name of this site).

GreggyB
07-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Thanks for those of you who have replied -- like I said we're a new site so we're looking for any and all feedback (especially the negative stuff)

Let me respond to a few things:
"shouldn't you have something original in your site rather than just rehashing threads and stories from elsewhere? "

In the future I'd love to have original content - especially interviews and book reviews. However, the idea of a meta-site that 'rehashes threads and stories from elsewhere' is exactly what we want to be. This concept has worked beautifully for sites like Slashdot.org and Fark.com. The thing is this... I spend a rediculous amount of time every day scouring the web for poker content... I wish I didn't have to spend so much time looking and could just read it. Its the same reason I go to news.google.com -- the goal is a one stop place that combines the best content on the web, with new submissions coming in every day. At the end of the day, the sites we're linking from shouldn't mind as we're driving traffic to their site.

"Also, it's pretty bad that you've got a major typo in the first sentence on your homepage. You should probably fix that."
You're absolutely right. Thanks.

"id possibly work on the color scheme. it hurt my eyes "
Again, thankyou. We literally just set this thing up the other day, and I am extremely untalented when it comes to graphics and color schemes. I couldn't tell you the first thing when it comes to colors clashing etc.

"pretty tacky to promote that here (where you are clearly playing off the name of this site). "
Actually, the name of this site had nothing to do with our choice. We had a list of probably twenty possible names, all having something to do with poker. Alot of the choice came down to which domain names were open. Pokerology, Allinyourface, Intheblinds, unraked, tripeights, topkicker, tripnines... etc.. all were in the running. TripTwos won because we didn't want to have to settle for a .net address and I like the hand... its a sneaky one that can destroy the 'big hands'.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Thanks.
Greg
www.triptwos.com (http://www.triptwos.com)

Legian
07-11-2004, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the same reason I go to news.google.com -- the goal is a one stop place that combines the best content on the web, with new submissions coming in every day. At the end of the day, the sites we're linking from shouldn't mind as we're driving traffic to their site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that makes sense. Personally I would've asked the owners of this place if they minded my doing a bit of marketing here, just as a courtesy if nothing else. But maybe you already did that. It isn't my business anyway.

Legian

Leo Bello
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I think any effort to help the community is a good one. And I donīt see the problem of advertising if he is not making money trough it or trying to take people from here. (anyway no one would leave, lol)

scalf
07-11-2004, 11:55 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif usually 2 + 2 welcomes dissemination of information; even competitor's websites, but does not want people to use 2 + 2 for free advertising or spam.

this openness to info has been a major plus, imo, and should be applauded...buy your books here thru conjelco..do not be a shmuck..

jmho

gl /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

astroglide
07-11-2004, 09:36 PM
advertising services to your competitor's audience, from their location, is about as scummy as it gets. if you opened a fast food joint, would you set up a station before the drive through speakerbox at mcdonald's to advertise? totally classless. buy an ad.