PDA

View Full Version : AQs vs two low pocket pairs

Mikey2k4
07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
This was actually at a home game, so it was a rather social environment. We're in the middle of the match. We started with a little under T$3000 and blinds are at 200/400 with five people on the table. I'm at around 2000 or so.

Hero is BB with AQs (don't remember which suits). UTG folds. Next player is usually rather tight, and he hesitantly calls. I am rather sure that he paused because he was considering either raising or just calling. He winds up just calling. The next player (button) folds, and SB folds.

Now action is to me. I laid my AQs down. The normally tight player calls and we see a flop.

It winds up that two aces come out on the board. The first player had 44 and the raiser behind him had 77. Had I stayed in the game, I would have won the hand. After the hand was finished, I showed what I had folded (it's a social game), and a couple of other people at the table were like, "Are you crazy?" My reasoning is that I am essentially a coin flip against each of them individually. Their reasoning is that AQs is a great hand and that I should have at least called. I know that AQs is a very very good hand, but that pocket pairs increase in value as you get fewer players. So I leave it to you kind folks: Good lay down or bad non-call?

BrettK
07-10-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is BB with AQs (don't remember which suits). UTG folds. Next player is usually rather tight, and he hesitantly calls. I am rather sure that he paused because he was considering either raising or just calling. He winds up just calling. The next player (button) folds, and SB folds.

Now action is to me. I laid my AQs down. The normally tight player calls and we see a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG folded, MP called, Button folded and SB folded, what bet did you lay your hand down against? Did one of those people raise instead of fold?

Brett

Mikey2k4
07-12-2004, 01:50 AM
My bad - Button RAISED 200, not folded. Don't know what I was thinking. It's all a blur now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So yeah, I'm BB, UTG folds, MP calls (almost raises), button DOES raise, SB folds, then I fold. I wind up folding AQs against a 44 (MP) and 77 (button).

Kidd_King
07-12-2004, 02:15 AM
I would have called knowing that I was a dog. However, the raise wasn't overbearing, and if I definitely sensed it wasn't a high pocket pair, then I think the laydown was incorrect. Again just call and see what happens.

If the flop didn't go to my liking, I would most likely check fold or if I knew the player good enough, maybe even check raise to steal it away from him.

AQ is just as good as those pocket pairs short handed. Classic coinflip situation. If another situation came up and one player pushed in, and it would cost me the majority of my chips, I'd really be reluctant to call, I'd probably fold and wait for another hand, another fight.

viennagreen
07-12-2004, 03:34 AM
so blinds were 200/400, button min raises 400 (?) after one caller...?

you have AQs and 2000 chips in the BB

i don't think that folding is right here... if you were MP with that hand, you would raise... if you were the button, you would raise with much less than AQs...

i think that if you truly thought they had low pocket pairs and wouldn't fold them preflop, you should at least call...

it would be hard for me not to push in this situation though, if you thought there was a chance they'd fold... you're short on chips relative to the blinds and need to make a move-- AQs isn't a bad time to do it.